Cleveland Institute of Electronics - Broadcast Engineering

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
kc8gpd

Cleveland Institute of Electronics - Broadcast Engineering

Post by kc8gpd » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 pm

well,

i have took the plunge and i am taking the CIE - Course 2 - Broadcast Engineering.

i got my first 19 lessons last Wednesday and have been buried in my books since then.

i have done 17 of the 19 lessons and 10 question exams scoring 70 on one of the tests and 90-100 on the rest.

there are 95 lessons and exams total in this course.

i'm looking to get off of disability and into a broadcast engineering career.

thought i would share the news to the engineering community.
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Dale H. Cook

Re: Cleveland Institute of Electronics - Broadcast Engineeri

Post by Dale H. Cook » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:41 am

kc8gpd wrote:i'm looking to get off of disability and into a broadcast engineering career.
The most valuable thing that you should do after completing the course is to get SBE certification.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Well that should keep you busy, but at the rate you're going...not for long. :D
I took that course back in the early 80's to supplement the local Tech school's Electronics classes. The tech was good on general electronics but didn't cover RF at all. CIE is what's left of the old Smith Electronics, Carl Smith being one of the pioneers of AM antenna design.
Couple that with some of John Battison's papers and a copy of Jack Layton's Directional book and you'll have a very solid background on AM's.
Good luck in your prospective endeavor!
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:46 pm

it's apparently been updated since you took it in the 80's.from looking over the lesson list they sent (judging by some of the lessons titles) it not only covers RF now but the basics of digital video as well and required the purchase of "electronic communications systems 2nd edition" and "Digital Video Editing" books to go along side the lessons. i'm guessing later lessons will reference these two books heavily right now it's just basic electronics elements i'm learning.
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:15 pm

here is an update to this topic. I have done 63 lessons of 95 so far with a better than passing grade of about 85%. i have 32 lesson left to go.
kc8gpd

kc8gpd

Re: Cleveland Institute of Electronics - Broadcast Engineering

Post by kc8gpd » Thu May 28, 2015 3:43 pm

here is another update. i have completed the course. Update:i got a 90.55 Grade B completed course in 1739 hrs. got my transcript from CIE. will be applying for my CBT certificate and become an SBE member at the same time. also put in my application for the SBE scholarship. please still consider the gear i have up in BST forum (or my gofundme page) as the scholarship is not a guaranteed slam dunk.

i can't get my degree till i pay off the tuition. if i recall, i believe i have some gear still posted in the Buy, Sell, Trade Section. Consider purchasing some of the gear if you see something you can use to help me get closer to paying off my tuition.

i will look for the post in the BST section and update it with my current available equipment when i have a chance to.

it would be of a great help i still owe 1270.00 on my tuition to which i can only toss 50.00 / month at it on my fixed income.

i have also setup a go fund me page if anyone is interested in just helping out with a donation toward paying off my tuition.

i won't post a gofundme link here unless an admin tells me it's ok to do so, but feel free to PM me or email me at kc8gpd@gmail.com if you are either interested in some gear or want to chip in toward my tuition.

updated the post in BST forum, here is direct link http://www.broadcastengineering.info/vi ... =41&t=5056

thanks
kc8gpd