Broadcast Engineering Course

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
Tbone

Broadcast Engineering Course

Post by Tbone » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:01 am

Has any body enrolled in a Cleveland Institute of Electronics course before? (Good/Bad)

They updated their Broadcast Engineering online course to include mobile media and audio production.

I might be interested in taking it: http://cie-wc.edu/Broadcast-Engineering.aspx

Thanks,
Tbone

Dale H. Cook

Re: Broadcast Engineering Course

Post by Dale H. Cook » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:40 am

Tbone wrote:Has any body enrolled in a Cleveland Institute of Electronics course before?
I have not - I took the NRI broadcast engineering course decades ago.

I don't know how they are now, but CIE has a great heritage. It was founded by Carl E. Smith, one of the two greats of AM directional array design. The other great was Walter Brown - some of their papers in the IRE Journal should be required reading for anyone working on DAs. I still have photocopies of some of those papers from when I was learning DAs nearly 40 years ago. I don't know about the latest editions, but for decades the chapter in the NAB Engineering Handbook on the theory and design of DAs was written by Carl Smith.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:37 pm

I took both the NRI and CIE courses 30+ years ago. They were both well done, they'll provide you a good foundation. I'd suggest taking hands-on electronics tech courses at a local tech/trade school if they are available and you haven't already, books alone can only do so much.
CIE lost it's accreditation about a year ago, if that matters to you. I think it only covered their AAS offerings, not the Broadcast Engineering courses.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Thu May 28, 2015 3:31 pm

I took and just completed the CIE course very well designed course covers everything. as the other poster stated, get some hands on experience either at a trade school or intern out in the field with some engineers.

running a part 15 station for 15 years that is employing all professional broadcast gear i have gained the hands on experience, but can do with a little field experience with some engineers on the big broadcast stuff and learn about some of the newer gear and HD stuff.
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."