GATES AIR TECH SUPPORT WEBSITE

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
RGORJANCE

GATES AIR TECH SUPPORT WEBSITE

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Today I tried to get into the site for a manual and discovered that they had cancelled me for the third time.

I then decided to make a phone call and was put thru to a fellow who was working on the site. I found out that they had just instituted some changes of big proportions to the support site, and there are still some glitches.

As the fellow led me by the hand thru the steps to get re registered, we got it going. If you have visited the site in the recent past, and found it really awkward, the new improvements are really nice and very easy to find you way around to get the info you need.

They have a very nice thought out plan to vastly expand the site to include ordering parts, etc.

Fossil

Dale H. Cook

Re: GATES AIR TECH SUPPORT WEBSITE

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:05 am

RGORJANCE wrote:... the new improvements are really nice and very easy to find you way around to get the info you need.
Jason Foote from GatesAir has spent the last few weeks participating in the Broadcast mailing list at Radiolists.net in order to get engineers' input on improving the site, and the way that GatesAir has solicited our opinions and acted upon them has been very heartening.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:08 am

I just discovered part of the problem I have been having with the website. I recently started using Chrome and this morning when going to the site, I found a good portion of the support page missing that I had seen the other day.

I then decided to go back to Firefox and signed in. Lo and behold, everything magically appears! So, if you are having issues with things not quite right with the Gates Air support site, switch over to Firefox and give it a try.

I will contact Mr. Foote on Monday to let him know what I found. Between Chrome and (grrrrrr) Win 10, there might be a wee bit of a problem.

Fossil

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:07 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:Between Chrome and (grrrrrr) Win 10 ...
I am still using XP. I tried Chrome and Comodo Dragon for a bit, but dumped both because too many pages were not handled the way I wanted by either. I still keep Opera and Safari as alternate browsers, as well as IE for pages written by imbeciles that think that only Micro$oft tools can be used to write pages.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:49 am

RGORJANCE wrote:I recently started using Chrome and this morning when going to the site, I found a good portion of the support page missing that I had seen the other day.
Google seems to be hell-bent on replacing Microsoft as the "my way or else" leader in software. I've had more trouble with Chrome lately than IE, Firefox or even MS Edge. I've started using Firefox a lot more again because of it.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:14 pm

Dale H. Cook wrote:...pages written by imbeciles that think that only Micro$oft tools can be used to write pages.
Repeat after me: M$ Word is NOT a web page editor! :lol:

At my 'regular' job (I do network communications), we used to have a bunch of web pages documenting most of the network. Pages that would have to be updated when an analyst made a change like, say, adding a new VPN tunnel to somewhere. Some analysts would load the HTML in Word, make the changes/additions, then save it as HTML. File sizes would jump considerably. I think I finally convinced everyone on the team to stop doing that and take a few extra minutes to use a simple text editor (Notepad if you must do it with something Microsoft - there are better options) to update the file.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:40 am

radiowave911 wrote:Repeat after me: M$ Word is NOT a web page editor! :lol:
It is amazing how many people think that Word or FrontPage are the ideal tools to create and edit web pages. Those are often people who have little understanding of the nuts and bolts of HTML.

About 25 years ago I began to use Vedit to write programs. It is a programmer's editor somewhat akin to Brief, and does not introduce overhead. Once I began writing HTML I used Vedit for that as well. It does things like syntax highlighting, which can be set to be different for each file extension. Here's an example of the syntax highlighting I use for HTML:

Different components of HTML are rendered in different colors. Note that the colors are simply the editor recognizing that I am editing an HTML file, and displaying the elements in my designated colors, such as white-on-red for comments. Plain text is black-on-white. None of that is saved in the file, which contains only text.

Vedit has a powerful macro editor. There is a mailto: link at the bottom of each page. If I decide to change the email address in that link I use the macro editor to change that address in a designated directory and all subdirectories, and tell me which files have been changed and need to be reposted. The example shown is from a page that has not yet been converted to use external CSS files, something which I am doing a) because internal CSS is so twentieth-century, and b) so the code can detect and adjust to screen size. The macro editor is ideal for such changes.

I have other color schemes that I have constructed for use when I am editing, say, PHP or an Arduino program.

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Did Gates Air get the web site working . I want to down load a Z-10 manual and I don't see any Harris manuals there?

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:55 pm

The site is running OK. I did notice awhile back that I needed to use Chrome to get it to display correctly. Firefox was causing issues and I couldn't see everything they were putting on the site.

What document are you looking for? If you can't get from the site, I might have a usable file copy.

Fossil

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Oooooppppsssss!!!! Massive senior moment! I got it bass ackwards. Try Firefox, not Chrome. Duhhhhh!

Fossil (with hardening arteries)

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:22 pm

I am using Firefox. I am looking for the entire manual for a Z-10.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:29 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:Try Firefox, not Chrome.
You had me wondering there, Fossil. Nowadays a lot of sites are designed to display properly with Firefox and IE, and couldn't care a fig for Chrome, Opera, Safari, or anything else. It would be a lot easier if sites and browsers all adhered to the published HTML standards, but everybody thinks they know better.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:31 pm

WTCM wrote:I am using Firefox. I am looking for the entire manual for a Z-10.
Although it comes up in a search there appears to be no link to the manual. Email support@gatesair.com to see if it is available.

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Try these steps
1) go to site, check in
2) go to LEGACY FM
3) go to Z ANALOG
4) scroll way down and you will find the Z10 manual download

Also check out an early entry as you scroll called Z CD ROM DISK.

Hope this gets your foot in the door.

Fossil

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Calling something "Attachment 1" with a non-intuitive file name does not help. The prints are in a ZIP file on the same page.