price check

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
kc8gpd

price check

Post by kc8gpd » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:24 am

i have a Harris MS-15 with extender card and hard copy of manuals. i have it listed for 800.00 + shipping currently on a popular auction site. i have 5 watchers, over 200 views but still no takers. am i asking too much? what is a good price for this unit.

i also have a pelco exsite explosion resistant camera and housing / mount / power supply new old stock in box $1k + shipping 0 watchers over 50 views, same questions as above.

i don't want to over price them but i don't want to under price them either. buyers get finicky when you do either one.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

ChuckG

Re: price check

Post by ChuckG » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:01 pm

I searched that auction site's "sold listings" for that same exciter and found just one- sold last month for a single bid of $189.00, so maybe the market just isn't there right now for whatever reason. Fixed frequency and ~10 watts is possibly becoming a tough sell when many of us need frequency agile and 50 watts or more. I dunno. I've had the same (lack of) results with a few things I've listed.

The camera housing, I have no idea. What are you taking pictures of with a blast-proof housing? :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:25 pm

actually the MS-15 is agile (via dip switch) but yes it is only about 15-20 watts
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:53 pm

That exciter is ancient, unsupported and cannot be used stand-alone because it lacks a low-pass and harmonic filter. Most modern transmitters require more than 20 watts drive. It's a boat anchor. Unless you find someone looking for a parts donor it isn't going to sell, and it certainly won't at anything higher than a couple hundred bucks.

I don't know anything about the camera enclosure, but that seems to be a very low-demand item as well.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:56 am

Just to pile on, the MS-15 only has single loop PLL, and pretty much any current processor will cause it to unlock on bass notes. I'm also thinking that it's pretty easy to get a later model Bext or something for under $800.

I'm thinking that you'll be lucky to get $200.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:37 am

if it doesn't sell i won't bother relisting it, it's not worth it for only a couple hundred. better off keeping it and getting radiating cable and using it for a radiating cable part 15 setup.

thanks for all the input guys it was much appreciated.
kc8gpd

grich

Post by grich » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:45 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:Just to pile on, the MS-15 only has single loop PLL, and pretty much any current processor will cause it to unlock on bass notes...
One more for the dogpile!
Running it in a unconditioned shack on a 100-degree day won't do the PLL any good either. I recall (could be wrong, it's been 30 years) running it with the PLL card out on the extender so I could aim a fan on the TCXO just to stay on the air. GM joked about getting a block of dry ice...

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 am

Even the slightly newer MX-15 will unlock on very low frequency audio. I was testing one out after repair and I fed a nice clean signal sufficient for 75 kHz directly into one of the baseband BNC input jacks so I could test the frequency response. At 5 Hz I heard a "click" and the RF output disappeared. It took me a couple of seconds to realize why. This could probably have been taken care of, but there aren't too many times that audio of such a low frequency would get into this unit, unless there was a switching thump or perhaps a single pulse of a bass drum. Normal balanced-pair audio probably wouldn't have had as much effect.

I probably could have replaced a bunch of electrolytic caps in the unit, but it was performing so well I decided to just leave well enough alone. It's on a backup Harris FM-10K anyway. It was stable and not putting out any spurs to worry about, considering it had no low-pass filter on the output.

Bob M.

MyRadio25

Post by MyRadio25 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:02 am

Maybe on amazon.com

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:09 am

i decided to hang onto this for a future project. i plan on buying some radiating coax and running this with my homemade optimod 8000 clone for nursing home or campground radio. likely nursing home radio since my wife is a nurse and she knows a lot of people in management at many nursing homes. i can feed it from my studios via internet using my barix. my test show that with moderate processing IE: agc leveler and my homebrew optimod doesn't unlock the PLL and has a decent sound to it. i also have a carrier current coupler and transmitter. so i can do AM C-C at one nursing home and FM over radiating coax at another. this likely wouldn't work for a large campus but would work quite nicely in a single or two story smaller home.

i could likely charge them a modest monthly fee for providing the service.

just one of many idea's i am toying with for my part 15 adventures :-)
kc8gpd