Heathkit IM-5258 Distortion Analyzer

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
Bill DeFelice

Heathkit IM-5258 Distortion Analyzer

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:14 pm

I acquired a Heathkit IM-5258 Harmonic Distortion Analyzer from a station that moved to new studios and left this and other gear to be discarded when the property was turned over. I purchased service manuals for this and the companion tone generator but there's no operating instructions for the analyzer. Searching online for the sole 4 pages that describe operation lead me to span links and linkbait PDF files. I was hoping somebody might happen to have a copy of the pages I need as I'd prefer not to spend money on yet another manual just for the 4 pages not included in the service manual.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

ChuckG

Re: Heathkit IM-5258 Distortion Analyzer

Post by ChuckG » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Nice find! You might try here, see if anyone has a manual:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/heathkit/info
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:58 am

@ChuckG: I think I actually posted there back when I got them but I did another one in the hopes somebody might have it. Thanks for jogging the ol' memory.,
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:47 am

I'm going to guess that Heathkit just tried to copy the HP-333A distortion meter. If it's anything like those, there's a tunable frequency dial and a coarse and/or fine tuning pot. You set the level at either 1Vfs or 0.3Vfs to 100% on the meter, then switch to distortion and dial down and tune for the lowest reading, then switch to "Auto" and let the meter find the best null, which is the final value of %THD.

According to the photo and this article: http://www.moorepage.net/THD.html it is just about identical to the HP 333A and manuals for that are all over the place. The 334A has the RF Detector in it but is otherwise the same unit.

Bob M.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:53 am

I've got one of those...let me see if the manual is where it is supposed to be. If so I'll make you a copy.

edit: yep, got it. Pages 70-80 cover operation and calibration. Will that do?
Last edited by Deep Thought on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:55 am

kcbooboo wrote:According to the photo and this article: http://www.moorepage.net/THD.html it is just about identical to the HP 333A and manuals for that are all over the place. The 334A has the RF Detector in it but is otherwise the same unit.
HP sort of licensed the 333 design to Heathkit with the requirement that they not include the 0.1% distortion scale, if memory disserves.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:46 am

Deep Thought wrote:I've got one of those...let me see if the manual is where it is supposed to be. If so I'll make you a copy.

edit: yep, got it. Pages 70-80 cover operation and calibration. Will that do?
That would be great. Much thanks. I have the Schumber (sp?) service manual for the 5258 and generator, which I don't recall the number. If you'd like those I can scan those when I bring them to the office.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:44 pm

The manual I have is the original (p/n 595-1842) from 1976, which has the assembly, testing, design theory, operation and troubleshooting info.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:38 am

Both my Heath/Schumberger manuals are labeled Heath Service Data and cover both the kit and factory assembled versions and the manuals are stated as "supplements" to the main manuals. I assume that's why they lack any sort of operating instructions.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:38 am

Yesterday turned into The Day From Hell™ and I didn't get a chance to scan the pages. I have to go to the office again tomorrow so I'll try to get that for you then, otherwise it'll have to wait until after the 15th.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:39 pm

Deep Thought wrote:Yesterday turned into The Day From Hell™ and I didn't get a chance to scan the pages. I have to go to the office again tomorrow so I'll try to get that for you then, otherwise it'll have to wait until after the 15th.
Don't sweat it. Whenever you get to do so is fine. You're doing me a favor and I appreciate it.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun May 01, 2016 11:23 am

Here you go...
Attachments
IM-5258.pdf
(8.17 MiB) Downloaded 129 times

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sun May 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks for the info. It fills in the whole left in my manual. I don't know if your manual states the actual operational procedure of how to perform measurements with the 5258, which more of what I was thinking. I had several people tell me different ways to use the auto function, which is why I was looking for the actual operating procedure. I don't know if your IM manual had it or not as I was told the pages I had been seeking were in the SM version of the manual which accompanies the factory built units.

If by chance you happen to have the section could I impose on you for a scan of those pages? I had been told there's only 4 pages that cover this part of device operation. Thanks again for your time and assistance.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun May 01, 2016 6:11 pm

Those pages are in there, and the auto function is covered on page 72. It is just an auto-nulling function for the distortion measurements.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sun May 01, 2016 6:31 pm

I guess I glossed over them since some of the pages looked similar to that in my supplement manual. I found them on my second read-through.

Thanks again.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net