The FCC and Long-Eared Bats

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
PID_Stop

The FCC and Long-Eared Bats

Post by PID_Stop » Mon May 02, 2016 10:48 am

As if we didn't have enough to worry about, today's Daily Digest gives us "guidance" for protecting bats at tower sites, including a recommendation to restrict lighting. What if those flashing red beacons turn out to be responsible for warping thousands of little bat psyches -- do we shut them off?

Sheesh. :roll:

-- Jeff

RGORJANCE

Re: The FCC and Long-Eared Bats

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon May 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Right......turn the red lights off and require every tower to be re-equipped with rotating polka dot lights. Reminds me of all those thousands and thousands of birds that crashed and burned on that TV tower in Eau Claire, WI. many years ago.

The birds carcasses decomposed so fast they never found any remains. :roll: And the tower was surrounded by parking lots, studios and an electronics parts store. Hmmmmmmmm?

Of course, it was the lighting that confused them. :shock:

Fossil

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon May 02, 2016 2:51 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:Reminds me of all those thousands and thousands of birds that crashed and burned on that TV tower in Eau Claire, WI. many years ago.
That's still a bad memory here. Our tower was also called out as a particular menace to birds on the basis of absolutely no evidence. We had people from the state DEC and Cornell's school of Ornithology (a short drive away) all over us to log all of the poor little corpses. They were convinced that were covering up an avian holocaust of epic proportions, and were not completely satisfied even when their own people stuck around and found no daily carnage. Even if we had the time and the inclination to deal with those bodies, what on earth would we have done with them all? As they pointed out, we should have been filling several trash cans every week.

And bureaucrats and politicians wonder why people don't trust them...

-- Jeff

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon May 02, 2016 5:41 pm

The issue with the decline of these bats was the invasion of a type of fungus into the caves where they hibernate. Apparently introduced into this country by spelunkers from Europe.

The biggest issue here will be the cutting down of any tree--since the Federal idiots seem to think every tree is a summer roosting area for bats.

Besides the fungus, the biggest danger to this bat and the common brown bat is wind generators, since they can't eco-locate in the disturbed air around the rotating blades. Particularly the brown bats, who migrate through areas where there are lots of windmills such as along the ridges in the northern Appalachian mountains. Fixed objects--like guy wires--are easily detected by bats. After all, they hunt moths and other small insects using echo location.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon May 02, 2016 9:43 pm

Gives new meaning to the abbreviation B.S.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Wed May 04, 2016 7:36 am

RGORJANCE wrote:Right......turn the red lights off and require every tower to be re-equipped with rotating polka dot lights. Reminds me of all those thousands and thousands of birds that crashed and burned on that TV tower in Eau Claire, WI. many years ago.
Fossil
I read many years ago that the claim was up to 30,000 birds died that night, all carcasses eaten by feral cats.
30,000 birds in one night is 1 bird/second for 8hrs 20mins non-stop.
Those cats musta needed A LOT of Alka-Seltzer after that binge!
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed May 04, 2016 8:28 am

As an older person with absolutely nothing important to do, I decided to attempt to brush up on my math skills a bit. (I cheated and used a calculator)

If we assume that a bird has a dimension of 2" X 2" X 4", this gives a volume of 16 cubic inches. Now assume that there were 30,000 dead birds, this amounts to a volume of 3,333 cubic feet in one pile.

Now extrapolating a bit, (notice use of a 5 syl-abble word) this delivers a rotting pile of animal flesh approximately 25.75 feet on each side in a pile 50+ feet high. You would think that this would have international "newsies" "flocking" to Eau Claire to report this event. We heard crickets at the time. Can you visualize the size of the pile if these were Canadian Honkers?????

Fossil

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Wed May 04, 2016 11:23 am

I think there's a flaw in your size assumptions though. Most of a bird is air. Very little actual solid involved. Pluck the feathers and you're left with thin hollow light-weight bones, some skin, muscle, and guts. Probably just a few solid cubic inches when you get down to it. A cat's mouth can easily handle one cubic inch at a time. I used to have two cats and they regularly caught mice, birds, and squirrels. The birds were often gone in one or two gulps.

Bob M.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed May 04, 2016 1:58 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:Now extrapolating a bit, (notice use of a 5 syl-abble word) this delivers a rotting pile of animal flesh approximately 25.75 feet on each side in a pile 50+ feet high. You would think that this would have international "newsies" "flocking" to Eau Claire to report this event. We heard crickets at the time. Can you visualize the size of the pile if these were Canadian Honkers?????
That word picture reminds me of an account from Numbers 11. It's a story of the Israelites during the exodus, whining because they were sick of manna. Voila: dead quail, three feet deep, as far as their eyes could see. You want meat, you say? You got meat. Didn't end well.

Just on a mathematical note, it looks like your conversion from cubic inches to cubic feet is a bit off -- looks like you divided by 144, not 1,728. Still makes for an impressive pile, though. :wink:

-- Jeff

RGORJANCE

Re: divided by 144, not 1,728.The FCC and Long-Eared Bats

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed May 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Crap! I thought that pile was kinda big. I'll chalk that up to old age.

Fading into the background noise........... :oops:

Fossil

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed May 04, 2016 8:34 pm

It would still take a lotta cats to eat 30,000 birds. A LOT of cats. You wouldn't have been able to see the ground.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri May 06, 2016 1:18 pm

...and there is no background noise on a digital audio signal so you can't fade out so easily anymore!

And about those birds, I'd say what a pile of stinking crap but that would be incorrect. Pile of stinking crappers. There ya go; public service performed except for the car washes of this world!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---