DaySequerra Purchases Orban

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
Bill DeFelice

DaySequerra Purchases Orban

Post by Bill DeFelice » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:48 pm

I just read this disturbing news over at Barry Mishkind's BDR site:

http://www.thebdr.net/articles/haps.html

I just hope Orban gear (and support) doesn't end up as crummy as the Daysequerra mod monitors! I sent back a M2 modulation monitor that was under warranty and they had it for MONTHS! Not long after I got it back half the LEDs for one modulation display stopped working. This was the first and last time I don't go with somebody like Belar.

If they end up doing the same thing to the Orban product line it will make me a Telos guy, for sure.

edited to correct typo
Last edited by Bill DeFelice on Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

kcbooboo

Re: DaySequerra Purchases Orban

Post by kcbooboo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:06 am

I too had a horrible experience with a DS M2. The thing had lots of mods inside and the calibration was awful. After getting it back in worse shape than it had been when I sent it in, I refused to send it back again and managed to get rid of it.

I know of a translator that uses one to rebroadcast an HD channel. The first unit had network and control panel issues right out of the box. The second unit will just reset itself every once in a while..

I fear this will be the death knell for Orban. But since business is all about money rather than products and services, I'm sure someone will be rewarded.

Bob M.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:45 am

kcbooboo wrote:I too had a horrible experience with a DS M2. The thing had lots of mods inside and the calibration was awful. After getting it back in worse shape than it had been when I sent it in, I refused to send it back again and managed to get rid of it.
That's my experience except it's still in the rack here. If I could flip this p.o.s. M2 and replace it with a Belar I'd do it in a heartbeat and throw the M2 in the trash (or maybe make one of those smash-it-up videos for YouTube). Worst investment I've ever made and regrettably don't have the budget to replace it.

At least for the couple of analog Orbans out there I care for there's still people like Mark Persons and Bill Sacks.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:47 am

You can try to "sell it on ebay" and at least recoup some of your investment.

I'd probably go for an Inovonics if I had to do it again.

Bob M.

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:55 am

kcbooboo wrote: I know of a translator that uses one to rebroadcast an HD channel. The first unit had network and control panel issues right out of the box. The second unit will just reset itself every once in a while..
Bob M.
There is a translator doing that in this area with the M4 receiver and it seems like the guy is out there every month or two either swapping receivers or resetting it after it locks up and puts out digital noise.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:33 pm

I think one of the primary reasons why people bought the DS HD tuner is that it's supposed to stay on the selected HD channel even if it goes away for a while. At least they're network-connected, assuming you can get into the network to reset them. Many other units (Sony and Sangean, for example) will revert to the analog signal and stay there even when/if the HD comes back. I think there are other (probably better) products on the market now, two years later.

Bob M.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 pm

kcbooboo wrote:
I fear this will be the death knell for Orban..
Bob Orban commented elsewhere that the margins had become very thin and unlike his main competition, Orban isn't diversified into telco, consoles, etc. I suspect this was a decision made out of necessity to keep Orban open and operating.
Looks like they're keeping the current Orban staff, so hopefully customer service doesn't suffer.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:52 am

ChuckG wrote:
kcbooboo wrote: Looks like they're keeping the current Orban staff, so hopefully customer service doesn't suffer.
But if they adopt the same, swift repair practices and quality control that DS has you might as well put a fork in it and call it a day. After my experience with the M2 repair - Three months for a product return and it was still broken (and failed even more after a month's use). I won't touch anything with their name on it, and Orban might end up as an addition to our non-preferred purchase list. It saddens me, but I fear Orban won't be the legacy company we once knew AND respected.
Webmaster
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:48 pm

kcbooboo wrote:I think one of the primary reasons why people bought the DS HD tuner is that it's supposed to stay on the selected HD channel even if it goes away for a while. At least they're network-connected, assuming you can get into the network to reset them. Many other units (Sony and Sangean, for example) will revert to the analog signal and stay there even when/if the HD comes back. I think there are other (probably better) products on the market now, two years later.

Bob M.
Yep, that's the case here. I wonder if the little mini Inovonics HD receiver works better. Oh well, not my station, not my problem. :D

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:33 pm

They work just fine for use with translators using off-air audio. I have a number of them doing just that.

I did have one quit working this week...the tuner was fine, but lightning blew out a balun on the yagi antenna connected to it. And it was only about 10 feet off the ground :shock:

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:41 pm

Bill DeFelice wrote:
ChuckG wrote:
kcbooboo wrote: Looks like they're keeping the current Orban staff, so hopefully customer service doesn't suffer.
But if they adopt the same, swift repair practices and quality control that DS has you might as well put a fork in it and call it a day. After my experience with the M2 repair - Three months for a product return and it was still broken (and failed even more after a month's use). I won't touch anything with their name on it, and Orban might end up as an addition to our non-preferred purchase list. It saddens me, but I fear Orban won't be the legacy company we once knew AND respected.
Well, being a glass half full kinda guy, I'm thinking maybe Bob's work ethic might rub off on DS and maybe they'll get their sh!t together service-wise.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:47 am

Deep Thought wrote:... I'm thinking maybe Bob's work ethic might rub off on DS ...
Bob has written elsewhere that the Orban staff will be intact, and based out of their current location - they are not being merged into DS. Bob thinks that the sale will not affect Orban customers, and I do not think that previous sales of Orban affected customer service or that this one will. Bob will still be at the helm of Orban.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:19 pm

I meant that to mean that DS might pick up some design and service pointers from Bob and maybe transition the DS operations into a more professional realm.

One can always hope. 8)
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Deep Thought wrote:... and maybe transition the DS operations into a more professional realm.
Aaah - I have not dealt with DS. If they can become more professional then Bob is more than qualified to teach them.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:21 am

It's probably far easier for the many poor-performing people to drag the few good-performing people down, than it is for the few good performing people to bring the many poor-performing people up to the standard they should be at. The poor performers will say "why should we do all that extra work to be good? what we've been doing is fine and it's no worse than everyone else." In other words, why do a good job when a poor job seems to be acceptable? People will still buy junque when that's all there is.

You can apply the corporate names and individuals as you see fit.

Bob M.