DOG HOUSES

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
kcbooboo

Re: DOG HOUSES

Post by kcbooboo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:18 pm

Couldn't have made a better right angle if it had been engineered that way.

"The station is directional; it points that-a-way, just through them thar bushes."

Bob M.

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Classic inverted "L" antenna....

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:27 pm

http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/201 ... a-dilemma/

Paul Thurst made one out of a metal truck box.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:19 pm

RGORJANCE wrote: Too bad I didn't carry a camera back then. It would have been "a classic picture".
!

Here you are sir:
Attachments
WRPN.gif
WRPN.gif (17.18 KiB) Viewed 401 times
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:15 am

Chuck:

Thanks for the picture. I got it saved.

I noticed that real expensive fence surrounding the house. It would probably have been cheaper to rebuild the house.

It would be refreshing to know if they saved all of those vacuum caps from the phasor and ATU's that system had in it.

Fossil

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:05 pm

Slightly off topic--but...

We recently installed a new generator. Package deal-had to use the transfer switch that came with the Generac. (I have a 10 year old GE-Zenith 200 amp transfer switch available if anyone is interested...) Electrician starts to wire panel into switch --jumps back and lets out a yell when he pulls the cover off the breaker box...

Black snake looking back at him from inside the panel. Open quarter inch knock-out on top of the panel--just big enough for a snake looking for a home.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:21 am

But you gotta admit, no self-respecting copper thief would think of looking in something like that for anything worth stealing.
Take the WRPN house, straighten it up a little and put a door on it, then make a twin and you would have what our two-tower doghouses looked like at acquisition. I do tend to live by that "If it don't look like there's anything worth stealing they won't break in" philosophy -- but not professionally, only privately. -Anyway that didn't stop some meth head(s) from breaking in and stealing the entire wall mounted ATU #1. They began breaking into the other one (#2) but something must have scared them off. They left the door hanging by one hinge.

They took some sample line while they were at it.

So, after getting the ATU rebuilt, we increased security with motion detectors, and cyclone fencing of the houses (as somebody said, more expensive than the houses). Later, lightly rebuilt the houses with some of that concrete board stuff for the outside walls. That turned out to be a good move for a different reason: the 2011 Missouri River flood. That board survived the soaking and we lost hardly any airtime even with water in the building several inches. Everything was high enough except one UPS that was at the bottom of the speech rack. Oops. Plenty of transmitter signal; no audio or remote control. CE went in with power company boots and replaced the UPS setting it up higher.

We came very close to being inundated in that flood. A very nearby levee was fixing to blow and a pump there got knocked out of service. That whole area was as close as an hour notice to evac but the little Dutch boy came and put his finger in the dike just soon enough!

Wisconsin angle to the thread: 1 or 3 of WTSO's dog houses had that same tilt in the late 90's. I believe they've since been replaced.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---