Wildlife, towers, and security cameras

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
w9wi

Wildlife, towers, and security cameras

Post by w9wi » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:38 pm

The motion-detector security camera at our transmitter site gate has captured:

- Deer. One walked right up to the fence. Stared as if she REALLY wanted something on the other side & was ready to jump. Decided she couldn't make it, made a 90-degree turn, and went bounding along the outside out of sight.
- Hawks. Several have flown right towards the camera, veering off at the last moment. On a couple of occasions, a hawk has landed on top of the camera. On one occasion, you see the hawk's head upside-down as it perches on top & peers into the lens. (there is a 1,300-foot tower on the site which I suppose is hawk heaven...)
- Skunks. A skunk or two would walk through the field of view every morning. One morning, staff claimed a skunk had sprayed inside the studio. (about a quarter-mile away) We could never find any evidence of one getting inside, but there was plenty of evidence of their past presence *outside*. One of our guys found coyote scat and skunk fur (and a heck of an odor) just outside the building. We haven't seen skunks since.
- Raccoons. Every morning about 2am, four raccoons would walk through the field of view. A few weeks ago, it became three raccoons. We figure the coyote has something to do with that.
- Wasps. Annoying little things as they keep flying in front of the camera & then leaving & then coming back & then leaving -- setting it off every five minutes or so. The hawks seem to have taken care of that problem.
- Ghost. For a couple of days last week, the position of the sun was just right that for a few minutes in the morning, the camera would capture its own reflection in the protective glass in the housing.

Our site is heavily wooded. The deer population has skyrocketed over the last five years & they've become much more tame. I don't think anyone's feeding them but they will just stand there & stare as you drive/walk by. They're not yet quite as bad as the deer in Blue Mounds State Park (in Wisconsin) who won't even step out of the road when a car approaches...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

ChuckG

Re: Wildlife, towers, and security cameras

Post by ChuckG » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:08 pm

Used to find black bear hanging out in the berry patch between the transmitter building and tower #1. Not much to do besides come back later. Family of racoons living in a doghouse and beavers once stole lumber I had stacked up for fence repairs. Found it damming up a creek on the site.
Bookkeeping had fun with that one, not sure how to code an expense for "stolen by wildlife". :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:52 pm

This is my backyard on just about any night. Last night it was time for a raccoon, skunk and opossum go-round.
57ec3a90.jpg
Two coyotes walked through a month or so ago. They didn't stay long enough to read the menu... :lol:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:51 pm

A raccoon, a skunk and an opossum walk into a bar ...

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:30 pm

That raccoon is unfortunately positioned if the possum decides to start a fuss...

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:00 pm

And I thought that I had a winner with a coon and a possum fighting over our dog's food bowl. You trumped me with the skunk.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:29 pm

That's one of two adolescents. Some days mom and the two siblings are back there together. So far no unpleasantness... :shock:
57f42f8e.jpg
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:17 am

Manager and two sales critters hanging out in your backyard?
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:28 am

I need to set one of these up in my back yard. What kind of camera is that?

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:30 am

It is a IPCC-7210W which is a little close to the action for the IR night vision illumination. I have to mask off about 2/3 of the LEDs with cloth tape to keep it from washing out in the center. I'm going to back it up about six feet which should fix that and get rid of the illumination hot spot once I find some of that elusive 'free time' I hear so much about, since doing so requires digging a hole and setting a post. :lol:

With all of the IR LEDs unmasked it throws a beam ~50 feet. The optical zoom is very nice too.

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:09 pm

It wasn't on a transmitter site camera but I came across this near my daughter's house.
Deer1.jpg
I nearly wrecked the car I was laughing so hard.

...Lee