NPR Story Says Towers Kill Birds

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
Dale H. Cook

NPR Story Says Towers Kill Birds

Post by Dale H. Cook » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:07 am

Here is a new undocumented NPR story:

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/24/510811662 ... ome-lights

If towers kill so many birds why have I seen no more than a dozen or so dead birds beneath towers in my 40+ years as a chief engineer?
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

KPJL FM

Re: NPR Story Says Towers Kill Birds

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:01 am

Total BS. Birds don't 'navigate by the stars'. The navigate by one star. The very big star we hope shines every morning. Sounds like a repeat of the fake 'study' about 30,000 birds getting killed in Eau Claire, WI one night. The explanation for why no dead birds on the ground the next day, was, something about feral cats ate them all before sunrise. That's a lot of cats needing Rolaids. 30,000 birds getting killed is one per second, non-stop, for 8 hours and 20 mins.
The big windmills around here kill more birds.
And the taxpayers keep shelling out for this crap.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:05 pm

KPJL FM wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:01 am
I wouldn't think so. That might be a problem in The Netherlands where they have a lot of windmills, but not here where they are uncommon. Parts of this country, though, have lots of wind turbines generating electricity.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 am

KPJL FM wrote:
Total BS. Birds don't 'navigate by the stars'. The navigate by one star. The very big star we hope shines every morning. Sounds like a repeat of the fake 'study' about 30,000 birds getting killed in Eau Claire, WI one night. The explanation for why no dead birds on the ground the next day, was, something about feral cats ate them all before sunrise. That's a lot of cats needing Rolaids. 30,000 birds getting killed is one per second, non-stop, for 8 hours and 20 mins.
And the taxpayers keep shelling out for this crap.
Cats also don't normally eat the feathers (neither do hawks). There would have been feathers everywhere.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:16 am

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:05 pm
KPJL FM wrote:
I wouldn't think so. That might be a problem in The Netherlands where they have a lot of windmills, but not here where they are uncommon. Parts of this country, though, have lots of wind turbines generating electricity.
The wind farm up by Fond du Lac has someone to gather birds each morning, and keep them in a freezer for study. The moving 600 foot blades are more deadly than any stationary tower.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

sallen

Post by sallen » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:17 am

When I do find a dead bird at one of the transmitter sites, it's at the base of a power pole where they got between the insulator and ground. Never at the base of a tower or any where near it. Had 5 or 6 crows take out all three fuse holders on a pole. All the crows were on the ground at the base of the pole, some blown into several pieces.

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Of the six sites I've been at regularly, I've never seen a dead bird. Just dead rodents in traps and a snake skin or two.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:14 am

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:07 am
If towers kill so many birds why have I seen no more than a dozen or so dead birds beneath towers in my 40+ years as a chief engineer?
Maybe you need to be at a station where the GM and Sales Manager drop turkeys from helicopters.

Our station was inundated with amateur ornithologists after a bogus claim of epic bird slaughter (we're not far from Cornell, where they have a whole school devoted to studying birds). Never mind no evidence... these people were on a mission. They finally got bored and went away after waiting for carnage that didn't happen.

Sigh.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:33 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:14 am
Dale H. Cook wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:07 am
Maybe you need to be at a station where the GM and Sales Manager drop turkeys from helicopters.

Our station was inundated with amateur ornithologists after a bogus claim of epic bird slaughter (we're not far from Cornell, where they have a whole school devoted to studying birds). Never mind no evidence... these people were on a mission. They finally got bored and went away after waiting for carnage that didn't happen.

Sigh.
Just tell them it wasn't your tower that was killing them, it was the FM tower doing it. :mrgreen:
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:01 am

NECRAT wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:33 pm
Just tell them it wasn't your tower that was killing them, it was the FM tower doing it. :mrgreen:
If you're talking about the tower I'm thinking of, that many bird strikes would probably collapse the thing. :lol:

rich wood

Post by rich wood » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 am

Howdy,
I visit a number of different sites each year and yes there are bird bodies to be found fairly often. The Spring migration has more strikes than the fall. I have stopped at a few wind generators and did not see any bird bodies, but I am sure they have more strikes than towers in the same area due to the horizontal mass. There was a group of wind turbines in CA that were shut down because Condors keep running into them,,, Condor Cuisinart.
Now that the FCC has a PHD Biologist on staff, the bird strike phenomena is very real in their minds. Thus the extinguishing of the OB lights, studies found they attract birds. Cats eating dead birds??? If a cat does not kill it they usually will not eat it.

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:59 am

Well, if a Federal agency hires a PHD biologist. you can pretty much guarantee that he will find somethi9ng to justify his salary.

rich wood

Post by rich wood » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:48 am

The biologist is a she and last year I had a project that triggered the NEPA EA study (cost about $5 per word) and she called up with questions.
1. What kind of tower lighting are you going to use? Answer= White Strobes,,, Response= Oh,,, that is good because they do not attract birds.
2. Is there a light on the transmitter building and is it on all the time? Answer=Yes there is a light and it is on a switch,, Response= Good steady on lights tend to attract birds. (seeing a pattern here??)
3. Are you familiar with the plant called the Hooks Orchid? Answer= No, is it an endangered species? ,, Response= No, but it may be some day,,, so keep an eye out for it.
(I think every thing will be endangered some day)

Well, she said, you have answered all my questions,,, I guess I will approve this application and then move along,,, she sounded disappointed that the file was leaving her domain.
Really does summarize the system, when they can not hold you up.
Also, this project had to get a state DNR permit and when issued point 8 said "the owner was responsible for all species known and unknown"?? What??
Point of this story,, if you have a tower construction project count on it taking longer and costing more than expected.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 am

rich wood wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:48 am
(I think every thing will be endangered some day)
Common sense included.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:20 am

"the owner was responsible for all species known and unknown"

If you see big foot, for Pete's sake, don't shoot him!

Or make sure the body is well buried.