Hello?

Post by Shane » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Pretty quiet in here. Is this thing on?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Jim Sofonia

Re: Hello?

Post by Jim Sofonia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Please keep your hands and feet inside the ride, and wait patiently for it to start!

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:49 pm

The lights are on but nobodys home.

I been lurking in the shadows all day, but it is really quiet. I wonder if that means everything is working fine?

Fossil

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Don't worry, the quiet you're enjoying right now should not be confused with dead air, dropped carrier or other things that can ruin a weekend for us radio folk.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Thank you all. I was getting worried. Good to know all us old farts are still going. :lol:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 am

RGORJANCE wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:49 pm
I wonder if that means everything is working fine?
Fossil -

Nope - I have problems at two sites that I'm bouncing back and forth between. Problem is, one is 70 miles west of home, and the other is 60 miles east of home. My bed thinks I'm having an affair with the Explorer and may be right.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Shane

Post by Shane » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:34 pm

I'm bouncing back and forth between. Problem is, one is 70 miles west of home, and the other is 60 miles east of home.
We hate it when that happens. And to think I used to complain every time a storm came through Dane County and I'd have transmitters calling me from every corner of the county. 130 miles with home somewhere in the middle: ouch.
I wonder if that means everything is working fine?

Fossil
'Tisn't.

My not-so-quiet weekend began with automation troubles Friday night. Couldn't remote in to fix one of them so that was the end of Friday night festivities. Then, I went in Saturday to work on that some more.

Putting in new ENCO system - trying to get things arranged so they can work on it remotely. Had to cheat and put one of the new server ports into the port belonging to one of the studio workstations. I think I had to borrow its IP address, too.

So everything that needs to be talking is talking and the "auxiliary" production studio may just have to be used in a little different way for a few days or weeks! (i.e.: no voice tracking). I suppose I should alert the morning shows, ya think?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:59 am

A couple of reasons for it to be quiet.

Summer. People go on vacation. (This forum gets quiet during the summer normally)

TV Folks are scrambling to get the FCC 399 form completed.

Fun stuff like that.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

RGORJANCE

Re: People go on vacation

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:30 pm

What is vacation? Is it a person, place, or thing??? Could ot be something guvmint workers get???

Fossil :?

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:41 pm

I almost had to scratch my vacation. One of the MMD IPA amps in the twin 25 Continental rigs took a dump on the 29th (I was scheduled to be at my cabin at The Lake of the Ozarks June 30th to July 9th). MMD of course no longer exists and anything I do to one side of the pair I have to do to the other side which means I can't just replace one amp with another brand.

The home office recoiled at the 10.5 k price tag for a pair of new style Continental amps and I can't blame them. The Chief in the Pittsburgh office found a company called American Amplifier Technology that makes LDMOS drop in replacements for the MMD blocks for half the price of the Contiental amps. I delayed the vacation a day to get the amps in on Saturday Delivery and the swap went as smooth as silk. I was typing an email to the GM and the PD that everything was great when the whole room went black. A couple of seconds later I hear the generators crank up and and we got back on the air on generator power.

I swear it was a conspiracy to keep me from leaving.

Fortunately I waited out the power failure because the B rig tripped a plate breaker when we transferred back to utility. The transfer switch doesn't try to phase match the utility at all and its transfer is lightning fast. The SCRs hate it when they get a sudden phase change. I reset the breaker and drove quickly out of town before something else happened.

I have no affiliation with American Amplifier Technologies and I obviously only have a bit over a week of experience but I was impressed. They are a perfect physical match to the old MMD amps so they bolt directly in place. The gain is higher so you will need to almost half the drive level (I went from 40 Watts (pre-splitter and fine phase match network) to 26 Watts to get the same output. The only thing that was different was that there is no "Fault" status output like the MMD has but when there is a fault it is obvious. They handled the Continental cold tube grid mismatch without issue and didn't go into a protect mode like many other exciters and amplifiers tend to do. If you have an old rig that uses the MMD amps they are worth a look.

...Lee

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:16 pm

The home office recoiled
A snake infestation comes to mind. :roll:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Lee_Wheeler wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:41 pm
The transfer switch doesn't try to phase match the utility at all and its transfer is lightning fast. The SCRs hate it when they get a sudden phase change.
Ours does, but the cooling pumps don't like the fast hit, even in phase, so ours is set to break, wait one second or so, then make.
We found the pumps like that somewhat better, and everything returns to normal.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"