Mounting stuff to old concrete block wall?

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
RGORJANCE

Re: Sometimes electricians do strange things.

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:09 am

Do they really do it without shorts???? :roll:

Fossil

Another tall tale comes to mind................

w9wi

Re: Mounting stuff to old concrete block wall?

Post by w9wi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:41 am

NECRAT wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 am
w9wi wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:53 pm
KPJL FM wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:28 am
When you're all done, you'll find the dryer's cord is 6 inches to short to reach the new outlet.
Or as my wife would say, I tried to add an outlet, ended up replacing the roof.
Please don't say that:(
RGORJANCE wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:10 am
KPJL FM wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 am
When you're all done, you'll find the dryer's cord is 6 inches to short to reach the new outlet.
Or as my wife would say, I tried to add an outlet, ended up replacing the roof.

With my luck, everything will fit perfectly except the plug on the end of the cord will be different than the outlet socket. :lol:

Fossil
Please don't say that:( (either of you)
Don't worry. The dryer cords are pretty long. And there are only two types of Dryer plugs. 3 Prong (NEMA 10-30R), or 4 Prong (NEMA 14-30R).
The picture you posted, the 30R, is the most common type. The dryer uses balanced 240, so there is no neutral needed. The 3rd (center) conductor is simply a ground. Some of the more electronic dryers (and Stoves too) have complex enough control systems that need 120V to run, so you have both a Neutral and Ground going to them. (My stove is a 4 prong, but the dryer remains a 3 prong.)
Strange. (about the 4-wire circuit, obviously not an issue for me) I'd think they'd design the control system to run from 240, so they could sell the same design in that part of the world (most of it) where there is no 120V.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:31 pm

w9wi wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:30 pm
(It's not really mounted horizontally, the phone decided to rotate the photo & I'm too lazy to reformat it...)
As you noted in that photo, the socket was mounted but there weren't any wires connected. I'm a Grade A procrastinator. Finally got around to wiring it this afternoon.

The dryer cord was long enough, but only by an inch or so. I should have mounted the socket lower.
The existing wire from the breaker panel was long enough, but only by an inch or so. I should have mounted the socket higher.

(This town is famous for its fire department -- so I suppose using jumper cables to extend the cord wouldn't pass muster. Lifting the dryer off the floor with 2x4s would probably be OK:) )

Weird terminals. (Leviton socket, I would think a name brand would be reasonably normal..) Wired it the wrong way twice -- I'm figuring if one can pull the wire off the terminal with one finger, it's probably not going to pass 30 amps without fireworks:( The wires don't go where you'd think they'd go.

For all the more our guys complain about wiring XLRs and DB25s, I'm afraid I find it far easier than working on the big stuff:)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:51 pm

w9wi wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:31 pm
Weird terminals. (Leviton socket, I would think a name brand would be reasonably normal..) Wired it the wrong way twice -- I'm figuring if one can pull the wire off the terminal with one finger, it's probably not going to pass 30 amps without fireworks:( The wires don't go where you'd think they'd go.
Yup, they are interesting. But when you look at them, they are designed so when the wire heats up, they create a better contact. You can also get a longer after market dryer cord. Or put in a J Box and extend the circuit. #10 wire isn't difficult to wirenut.

Try doing it with a range connector, 4 wire.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"