NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: You need this

Post by NECRAT » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:08 am
NECRAT wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:16 pm
If you've never seen Steve Lampen's demonstration where Belden studied the differences between Monster Oxygen Free 12 GA cable, and "off the shelf" Zip Cord from Home Depot, it's totally worth the time.
Is that online somewhere? I'd like to share it with some technically knowledgeable non-broadcast folks who, like me, make regular use of the term "audiophool."
Dale, I am not 100% sure. This was 12 years ago at the Ennes Workshops at BOSCON. Maybe in a NAB presentation perhaps?
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:55 pm

I think Steve may have given that presentation, or included it, in the class he gave at the NBA-SBE convention in Lincoln last year. It was also an Ennes workshop. It was video'd so it might be available online at SBE.org, sbe74.org, or ne-ba.org (Nebraska Broadcasters Association).
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 pm

He did something similar in Madison at the WBA Engineering Conference a half dozen or so years ago... it turned out, to the complete subjective, non-blind listening audience, barbed wire was a better audio cable than Monster anything. :D
Jeff Welton
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 am

Hey, it (barbed wire) always worked from Manhattan, Kansas, when we broadcast the Husker football games at K-State!

Funny thing. The best audio quality we ever got off a two-line Comrex freq extender was from the Japan Bowl. The worst audio quality was from Kansas State (noted above and referred to by our veterans as "comin' thru fine on the barbed wire!") and home games from Lincoln. Evidently the path from Lincoln to Omaha goes by way of Russia. That may still be the case. :roll:

Maybe we needed some of that Monster cable when we somehow developed a ground loop on the 1/4-mile long audio connection from our STL to the transmitter building (speaking of KFAB here). While it was like that, one could hear the low level hum, which at night would entertainingly* go up and down in level with the tower lights. Never did figure out which tower; since they flashed in sequence it could only be one. Also, the farmer's fence charger came through loud and clear.

Rather than try to figure out where the problem was we slapped some 111C coils in the line where it came into the basement. Being a careful individual, my boss, the CE had us run freq response tests and I think signal to noise tests before and after. IIRC, the freq response improved! All the junk definitely went away.

*Actually, I didn't find it entertaining. Just made me grind my teeth. Today, I would probably find it entertaining. For years, one of the AMs I work for now would start humming a one-note tune anytime we got a soaking rain. Just way in the background, mind you. Finally, the old analog line blew out in a fashion that they couldn't fix it, so we got a digital (nailed-up ISDN) circuit out of the deal. I don't expect to hear the ripple anymore.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

sallen

Post by sallen » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 am

Obvious question is will one of these outlets make my Omnia or Optimod sound better/louder? Maybe get outlets for the whole air chain? Is there a ratings increase if you use one of these outlets on a Voltair?

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:18 am

Shane wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 am
IIRC, the freq response improved!
You probably RC. One of those on each end converting from 600 ohms to 150 and back was an "old" trick to get better freq. response out of a dry pair. 8)
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:18 am
Shane wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 am
IIRC, the freq response improved!
You probably RC. One of those on each end converting from 600 ohms to 150 and back was an "old" trick to get better freq. response out of a dry pair. 8)
Sometimes it was enough to get a short TELCO loop EQ'd reasonably well. 600' here between the STL receiver and the
audio processors...using the same trick with a pair of 111C's.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:10 pm

I remember that trick. In our situation there were indeed a pair of 111Cs but one was for the left channel and one for the right channel in the AM Stereo days.

For awhile after they quit offering dry pairs you could still get one by ordering an off-premise extension, then take all the telco stuff off it, put in your 111Cs and voila! This worked in the telco backwater that is (still) Lincoln, Nebraska; not sure that trick ever worked with Baby Bell in Omaha.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---