Which AM Audio Processor?

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
Deep Thought

Re: Which AM Audio Processor?

Post by Deep Thought » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:07 pm

The only problem with the 310 is that it needs a nanny and a butler to keep it sounding 'killer'.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:30 am

I'd suggest the DAP doesn't sound all that great anymore.

Compared to what it was up against in its time, it was the next big deal... but now I wouldn't use it for anything more than maybe a mic processor... which a lot of stations did.

Compared to anything from Optimod forward, I think you'd be disappointed in how a DAP would match up... unless your station was in a rural community with nothing up against it.

For one, it's hard to resist the temptation to pull the top off and play with the time constants, output and clip levels, not all of which was adjustable without exchanging parts. Given a range of music types, the DAP was far from consistent... which may be a long-winded way of repeating what DT just said.
Last edited by RodeoJack on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Deep Thought wrote:The only problem with the 310 is that it needs a nanny and a butler to keep it sounding 'killer'.
I only have one station that used a DAP and had to clean the card connectors about once a month. The owner found that giving it a good whack on the front panel would revive it for a few days and quit paying me to clean it. That is until he broke the meters and knocked the cards out of their sockets. I recall that processor was replaced with a CRL stack that was a huge improvement in sound and loudness.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Fran3 wrote:W
3 - ORBAN 8100A/XT-2 SIX BAND LIMITER PROCESSOR
Why or how would you use an FM processor with stereo MPX composite out and 75ms preemphasis on an AM station?

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:24 am

He's thinking ahead to next month's translator window. :P

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:56 am

If at all serious about the old CRL stuff, there is a 4th box used with the older pre-NRSC units.

The push-in, push-out switches are a periodic nuisance on the 4th box the model number of which escapes me. I soldered short wires across the desired setting because every six months or so the switch would just stop being "on" and the station would start being "off" until someone went up and cleaned the switch again. No such problems on the other CRL boxes.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Shane wrote:If at all serious about the old CRL stuff, there is a 4th box used with the older pre-NRSC units.

The push-in, push-out switches are a periodic nuisance on the 4th box the model number of which escapes me. I soldered short wires across the desired setting because every six months or so the switch would just stop being "on" and the station would start being "off" until someone went up and cleaned the switch again. No such problems on the other CRL boxes.
I think that's the SPF-300, the wrap around pre-emphasis/filter?
I have the studio box that compliments that, with the de-emphasis for the monitors. Same problem with the pushbutton switches.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:26 am

IIRC When we modified our AM-4S system there was a module that was fitted to the final limiter for NRSC pre-emphasis and brickwall filtering so I never quite understood the reasoning for the SPF-300.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:53 pm

ChuckG wrote:In addition to the other suggestions, you might look at BW Broadcast's DSPX-AM. Under $2500 gets you a competitive digital processor, you can schedule different presets at different times for talk, music, etc.
I have one in service and am eyeing up a second.
I would second that one as well.

Or this one:

http://www.scmsinc.com/shop-item/transm ... processor/

We have a number of "mini's" installed at 250 Watt mom-in-pop rural stations and they do very well.

COMMENG

rodbrink

Post by rodbrink » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Inovonics no longer manufactures the Model 235 processor and has replaced it with the all-digital Model 236. Are any of your clients using it?