AM CQuam Stereo

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
cough

AM CQuam Stereo

Post by cough » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:38 pm

Has everyone given up on AM Stereo transmissions.......

Deep Thought

Re: AM CQuam Stereo

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Nope. Still some stations out there, including WLS.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:38 pm

WIRY in Plattsburgh, NY is also still doing stereo.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

bmcglynn

Post by bmcglynn » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:57 pm

WRSB in Canandaigua (Rochester) uses it.

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:09 pm

WQUN, the AM station belonging to Quinnipiac University in Connecticut, is running C-QUAM as it's built-in on their BE AM-1A
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:26 am

Here is a link to a site listing all the stereo AM's

http://meduci.com/stations.html

I shut it off on the two AM's we have in Traverse City Mi. as the stations are talk/sports. Over years of operation I only had one listener notice the stereo beacon on his 1988 Cadillac.

kc8gpd

Post by kc8gpd » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:09 am

i recently acquired (in a trade) a ISO AMB-200 that cover 1600-1799 kHz, is about 3m in height from tip to base, and i have plans to acquire one of those 100mW Greek CQuAM TX's. i am going to ground mount the ISO with the little Greek TX in a weatherproof box at the base and see how well 15.219 CQuAM works, i also have plans to try C-C CQuAM under 15.221. i have a TM-152 and a TX11b here for receivers.

i have had a long interest in CQuAM just never got around to any experimentation with it.

i have a friend in casper, wy who runs a Carrier Current CQuAM using those little greek transmitters interface with LPB gear to cover about 4 square miles over the neutral line running an alternative format. i have yet to get up his way to tune in his station and give it a listen.

all the years i have been in radio i have never heard a CQuAM station in person other than via crappy mp3 airchecks.

i have been told that because of the limited bandwidth of the 3m antenna under 15.219 that CQuAM under that rule part may not work so well hence testing with a ground mounted isotron over a ground radial system.

i am in the Denver area and we have some great local AM formats here that would be well suited to CQuAM but sadly no one here currently runs it that i know of.

everyone here (on the top band especially) is running IBOC trashing most of the X-Band in the Denver area.
Last edited by kc8gpd on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
kc8gpd

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:19 am

WTCM wrote:
I shut it off on the two AM's we have in Traverse City Mi. as the stations are talk/sports. Over years of operation I only had one listener notice the stereo beacon on his 1988 Cadillac.
Exactly. The AM stereo boat sailed and then shortly after, sank back in the 80's. Time to move on.

cough

Post by cough » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:45 pm

WTCM wrote:Here is a link to a site listing all the stereo AM's

http://meduci.com/stations.html

what a shame... you had a listener but turned it off anyway... word of mouth from that listener and whoever rides with him in his car would
be an awesome plug for AM stereo... some of the transmitter manufactures still offer the feature...

cough

Post by cough » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Kelly wrote:
WTCM wrote:
Exactly. The AM stereo boat sailed and then shortly after, sank back in the 80's. Time to move on.
well... the ship is still here but why no one is taking advantage of it... but with a more positive attitude...

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:30 pm

cough wrote: well... the ship is still here but why no one is taking advantage of it... but with a more positive attitude...
Nah, the ship is not here. There are no new radios capable of decoding C-QUAM (other than a few HD models) and there are very few existing radios in the field.

If you have the stuff, great. But I wouldn't spend dime one on it.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:13 am

The ship not only sailed, but took it's platform motion seasickness along with it. Good riddance.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Old-Mazda

Post by Old-Mazda » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:16 am

I still have Kwal 620 in Osburn Idaho on Cquam. Sounds quite good, although the rest of the facility is falling apart. Some years ago I recall driving though downtown Seattle listening to KOMO playing music - it was absolutely pristine!

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Old-Mazda wrote:Some years ago I recall driving though downtown Seattle listening to KOMO playing music - it was absolutely pristine!
Must have been Some years ago! :mrgreen: Back in the early '80s, they called me, asking about a set of Howe Phase Chasers I'd been using. I didn't hear if they bought one, but given how "good" stereo carts were back then, it might have been a good idea.

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Ah, analog AM stereo . . .

I remember seeing the title of the second Star Trek movie and thinking that it was a documentary on the history of AM stereo until I saw the first "trailer" for it :D . . .

I do remember that my 1986 GMC "Jimmy", my 1990 GMC Suburban and my 1991 Lexus LS400 came with radios that had AM stereo receive capabilities, at least the "Stereo" tally came on when certain AM stations were selected. The Lexus radio seemed to actually output stereo sound, pretty hard to tell in either truck though. I think that I even still have that little Sony portable kicking around somewhere in the garage, the one that had the slide switch that selected between systems. One position was for three of the competing systems, the other position was for the other two systems (or maybe there were three switch positions, don't remember). I also don't remember which system went with each switch position on the little receiver, just that Harris, Magnavox, Khan, Motorola and Belar were competing to "win over" the market place with the AM band being the ultimate loser.