Setting ideas for an Optimod 9100a

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
Slab Bulkhead

Re: Setting ideas for an Optimod 9100a

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:37 pm

Shane wrote:
W2XJ wrote:Microwave is not an option when one fails to deal with line of sight issues.
Thought actually expressed by a corporate engineer: "(not an exact quote) go find those trees impinging on the Fresnel zone and have them cut down!" This same individual would probably recommend bringing in a wrecking ball to solve Slab's line-of-sight issue! Not having been part of that conversation, I can't tell you if the guy was joking or not.
Yes, for some reason I think the owner and occupants of the building across the street would probably have something to say regarding any attempts to clear the path. :shock: :D

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Seems like the real problem is the lack of desire to deal with it in a serious manner.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
W2XJ wrote:Good luck finding actual copper anymore.
Truth is, in most markets there aren't any people left who can install a dry pair even if it were physically possible. .
Nope, that was beginning to become a problem 15 or more years ago. There was one guy left at GTE (then) who knew how to set up an equalized loop. His replacement was asking me how to operate the test gear and didn't understand why the two lines needed to have the same delay. Nowadays copper and related equipment is being left to rot in place until they finally strip it from the poles. It's IP or nothing and we're reduced to a telephone system that works during power outages only until the local UPS runs out.

Twice now I've had to raise STL antennas to get over patches of growing pine trees. They can knock out a nice quiet path in less than a year.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:23 am

FWIW, ATT announced over a year ago that they wouldn't be installing new "digital program lines" in the southeast. I have a client that had a quote on one at the time and they relented and installed it. Holy crap what a mess... It took almost 2 months to get the frigging thing working AND has been out or unusable at least 30% of the time. They have been logging the outages and audio drops and will soon have to get a 2nd note book...

Part of the down time was not ATT's fault entirely since a car drove thru one of their "mini" CO's last year and over the past 3 months, trucks have twice torn down the low hanging feeder crossing the road in front of the TX site...

I have now found out that since there was NO ONE in the local CO that knew how to work on these circuits, they have routed what should be a 21 mile circuit to Elgin AL, from Florence AL 75 miles to Huntsville AL (past the end point) and then 50+ miles back to Elgin AL. An extra 100 miles of CO's and cable to go bad.

We have a letter to the AL PSC drafted and am awaiting a decision by ATT to give them a high reliability IP connection for the same cost as the nail up ISDN.

They have a marginal 950 path but the city of Florence is balking at building an 80ft tower at the studio location.

On the other hand, I have clients that have been using these lines for years without a seconds outage. Of course these are 2-10 miles long.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Shane

Re: STL options

Post by Shane » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:52 pm

Sounds like the city of Florence does not appreciate the value of the radio station to the city. They ought to hammer them with that. On-air editorials, letters to the editor of the local paper, and whatever else they can do to persuade councilmen, either directly or through their constituents.

I know. Easy for me to say.

We have Cox as an IP option up here. We had the nail up ISDN converted to a mono circuit for temporary backup service until we can come up with a more inexpensive backup option. So far we have dropped back to the ISDN a bit too often for my liking but when the IP circuit works it works very well. Using Telos Z/IPs & AAC+.

Fixing to add a translator feed over the same circuit but using Tieline Bridge-its, another pair of which we are currently using to feed another translator (no hot backup). I don't like them all that much but most of the time they're ok. Also have Cox on both ends for this other connection. The Bridge-its use their own music algorithm. Oddly music sounds much worse than speech using this box and algorithm.

Just comparing experiences.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:07 am

Shane wrote:Sounds like the city of Florence does not appreciate the value of the radio station to the city. They ought to hammer them with that. On-air editorials, letters to the editor of the local paper, and whatever else they can do to persuade councilmen, either directly or through their constituents.
That was basically my advice but the NIMBY crowd is alive and well everywhere. The mayor is an acquaintance and avid listener of the station (ESPN, local sports & everything Alabama Crimson Tide...) and was very supportive but noted that the permit and waiver process was arduous... He and most of the city counsel didn't have a problem and would have granted a waiver BUT, said that if they got a single complaint, it would have to go thru the entire process and possibly have to be taken down. Like a lot of the towns and cities in this area, they copied an ordinance that requires permits for everything from initial construction to everyday maintenance. As you might imagine, it is widely ignored.

The owner is politically well connected thru the the rabid UA sports community but is a "go along to get along" guy and doesn't want to rock the boat.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:38 am

I think a 2 hop solution is worth considering. If only 80 feet is needed, there should be a number of rooftops available as either a relay point or transmission point.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:11 pm

W2XJ wrote:I think a 2 hop solution is worth considering. If only 80 feet is needed, there should be a number of rooftops available as either a relay point or transmission point.
That is under consideration. There is a friendly AM broadcaster w/ a unipoled tower LOS just a mile or so away and a number of roof tops that command premium prices.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Shane wrote:Fixing to add a translator feed over the same circuit but using Tieline Bridge-its, another pair of which we are currently using to feed another translator (no hot backup). I don't like them all that much but most of the time they're ok. Also have Cox on both ends for this other connection. The Bridge-its use their own music algorithm. Oddly music sounds much worse than speech using this box and algorithm.
You might be better off using AAC if your Bridge-Its have that codec installed. I think it may cost extra to get that enabled. I have one feeding an FM translator at 96k bit rate and it sounds decent. I could try running more but that may be pushing our luck, the site is very rural and the DSL is on the slow side.

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:26 pm

I believe straight PCM might work on the Bridge-It. We don't have the AAC codec, unfortunately. Haven't had a chance to try PCM yet. I have a Barix pair sending us a weekly church service using PCM and the only time there have been problems is when somebody gets their fingers in their stuff. (like an unplugged network cable - "Oh, this one's not being used".)

I don't mind it as much when the problem is them. And being good Christians they always confess. :lol:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---