Valcom

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
ChuckG

Valcom

Post by ChuckG » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Anyone actually running one of these antennas, or know a station that is?
Can't really get into specifics, but a friend is interested in moving a station on the upper end of the band and the Valcom would fit his needs perfectly. Only needs to cover a limited area.
Having never used one, I know nothing other than what the marketing folks put out. I understand a full ground system is necessary and about an acre of land.
Thoughts?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Bill DeFelice

Re: Valcom

Post by Bill DeFelice » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:08 pm

Back in 2011 a station in New Haven, WNHC, had one installed. To the best of my knowledge I believe they're still operating with it. I shared a bunch of photos of its installation in a thread topic where I discussed it:

An Interesting AM Broadcast Antenna: The Valcom
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:09 am

They take up the same amount of space as a "regular" tower due to the requirement of a full ground system, and are about as expensive. The biggest thing they have going for them besides the reduced height (which can sometimes squeeze them in under 100-foot-or-less zoning) is they don't look like a tower so you can sometimes slide one by the local NIMBYs.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:57 am

WE installed one on KVGC, 1340 in Jackson, CA. Has a proper ground system, etc. The 85 foot model. Works at least as well as to be expected on that freq, and the fact the ground conductivity there is only around a 6. We only run 440 watts...

It was the only way to put the station where it needed to go in our case, due to city restrictions.

dave

ChuckG wrote:Anyone actually running one of these antennas, or know a station that is?
Can't really get into specifics, but a friend is interested in moving a station on the upper end of the band and the Valcom would fit his needs perfectly. Only needs to cover a limited area.
Having never used one, I know nothing other than what the marketing folks put out. I understand a full ground system is necessary and about an acre of land.
Thoughts?

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Never knew they involved a helix inside. So, basically they are oversized rubber ducks!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:43 am

"Never knew they involved a helix inside. So, basically they are oversized rubber ducks!"

Well, you have to get about 200ft of radiator length into about 85ft of height somehow. Besides helical winding, there's also a loading coil in one section.

Also, they aren't nearly as flexible as a rubber duck antenna; more like a stiff fiberglass pole. They'll certainly bend more than a steel tower though.

Bob M.

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Once read a piece, either in QST or an old ARRL Handbook about making something like this for HF operation. At the time I had a rented postage stamp size backyard and envisioned a lineup of these (guess I would have had my ducks in a row) along the fence on one side of the yard.

Somebody said I'd get out about as well with a dummy load!

I did have enough space for a 40 meter lazy loop. That thing could do some damage. Seemed to favor one direction though.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Most TIS antennas are made this way and are a lot shorter. Some do quite well considering the size. The ARRL handbook I have (from ~1969) has a 160-meter version that also works nicely. It still all comes down to the ground radials you can spread around the base.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:58 am

http://www.qsradio.com/shop-now.html#!/ ... y=13543020

Common mobile antenna for HF amateur use. They fall short of a full-sized antenna but that's mostly because in a mobile installation, a proper ground system is impossible. If one factors in the poor ground they actually work pretty well.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:56 am

KKOL in Seattle used one for a temporary site years ago. On a boat! Genius, salt water.
kkol.jpg

ChuckG wrote:Anyone actually running one of these antennas, or know a station that is?
Thoughts?

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Shane wrote: (guess I would have had my ducks in a row)

That did not slip by unnoticed. Hat's off. :lol: :mrgreen:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Re: mobile antenna for HF amateur use

Post by RGORJANCE » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:48 am

I used a Heli-whip many year ago back in the 70's. Ran a Heath HW-100 mobile. Worked out fairly well as a mobile ham antenna. I think it's still buried in the garage somewhere.

The Valcom whip looks cool on the boat!

Fossil