Two Pulsar 1000 Peak Voltage Readings Needed

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
Dale H. Cook

Two Pulsar 1000 Peak Voltage Readings Needed

Post by Dale H. Cook » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Today a damaged Pulsar 1000 power amp module followed me home (actually, it rode shotgun on the way home). The station is almost 2-1/2 hours away, so after repair I would like to test the module before taking it back. I can dummy up the power supplies, I have a GR 805-C that should provide sufficient clean RF drive, and a Bird load to handle the RF. The hard part will be generating the PDM waveform to feed the mod port, but I have a client with a Power Rock who has a nearly complete older Power Rock for a parts junker, plus an even older one that has been scrapped out. I think I can use the PWM board from the scrapped out unit to feed the RF amp module (fortunately I have scans of the Power Rock manual and prints).

Here is where I need help. I did not think to make two measurements before leaving the station, and nobody there has the equipment or expertise to make those measurements. I don't want to make a 5 hour round trip to get those measurements unless I have no other choice. Here's what I need to know - what are the peak voltage measurements for the inputs to the RF and mod ports on a module? If anyone has a Pulsar 1000 (or 500 or 250) I would appreciate it if you can tee the inputs to those two ports on a module and 'scope them. It probably would be good to know if the transmitter is a 1000, 500, or 250, and what the TPO is.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

delahund

Re: Two Pulsar 1000 Peak Voltage Readings Needed

Post by delahund » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Try google...Nelo D. Toriaga. He could answer that question in a snap since he designed the transmitter. He is on Linkedin and is an SBE member. Jeff Welton may know how to reach him, he worked a short time for Nautel.