Collins 820E part

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
mbrockm

Collins 820E part

Post by mbrockm » Tue May 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Collins 820E or F looking for the overload indicator assembly on the control panel. The on and off and display switches are pretty much all the same. The lamp sockets and lens are fine. Checked with Continental, no longer have any. Just need the rod and support which holds the front display in place. If any one has one on a junk pile. Using a piece of tape to hold the lens cap in place. Transmitter runs fine otherwise.
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering

Dale H. Cook

Re: Collins 820E part

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed May 17, 2017 7:23 am

That should be the "Lamp Reset" switch shown in the 820E-1 manual as 266-6806-100 (SPDT). The lens rod and clip should be the same as in the 266-6806-110 (DPDT). The Continental 816R-2B manual that I have a scan of shows the 266-6806-110 used on its front panel, so that same switch must have been used in the Collins 831 series.

Did you ask Continental if they have a newer switch, used on current production of the 816 series, which the 820-E can be retrofit with?

I have some similar switches on hand but the retaining pin placement in the rod is different. I have been dragging my butt on repairing a similar switch problem in the last 820E-1 in my care. I am due at that site next week and will compare my switch assemblies with those in the 820E-1 to see if I can modify mine to work in the Collins. The problem in my 820E-1 is that the part of the switch that engages the rod retaining pin is worn out, so I need to see if I can use one of my switches to replace the entire switch assembly and swap just the lens.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

mbrockm

Re: Collins 820E part

Post by mbrockm » Sat May 20, 2017 5:53 pm

I found the switch I needed in supplies I had. Even found the packing list from when Norm Kling ordered. Boy he was good at having the right spare parts on hand. Second time the late Norm Kling saved the day.
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering