DX-10 Controller Probs

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
davedybas

DX-10 Controller Probs

Post by davedybas » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:43 am

Hi All... I've got an old DX-10 transmitter from the later 1980's that has been sitting around collecting dust and rodent excrement. The unit has been cleaned up and was working for a while. However, now it isn't....The unit has a 2 step-start but at the moment it's only doing a 1 step. It tries to start but the first start-step contactor only holds in for about 2 seconds and then drops out. This is normal operation, but the 2nd power supply contactor is supposed to kick in and stay locked on....and it doesn't even make a noise.

This is a discrete logic controller and it's driving me nuts... I wish I had a spare Controller board to test the transmitter with....but heck it's only 30 years old :)....so...no such luck from the factory.

Has anyone run into ant issues "like" this with that board ? Has anyone had any issues with that board ?

I'm begging....for help. :|

Dale H. Cook

Re: DX-10 Controller Probs

Post by Dale H. Cook » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Have you looked through the service bulletins at GatesAir? I tried to grab the manual for a look but there is no link to download it.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:18 pm

I just got off the phone with Ralph Wiegmann at GatesAir, and he sent me scans of the manual and some prints. You should give him a call, since the DX-10 is a current product with which he is very familiar - 217-221-7367, email Ralph.Wiegmann@gatesair.com.

You wrote "it's only 30 years old" but I know the DX line is not that old. Are you sure it isn't an MW-10? IIRC those were still in production 30 years ago (but I haven't worked on an MW in more than a decade).

If it is an MW-10 I have the B version manual and print and may be able to help.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:03 pm

I didn't think it was that old either....but there's this:

https://www.desmoinesbroadcasting.com/k ... -dx10.html

Says the prototype went on air in September 1987, or very nearly 30 years ago.

Back to the topic, I assume you have checked all PS voltages and shaken the big blue caps to see if they rattle?

grich

Post by grich » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:44 pm

awsherrill wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:03 pm
I didn't think it was that old either....but there's this:

https://www.desmoinesbroadcasting.com/k ... -dx10.html

Says the prototype went on air in September 1987, or very nearly 30 years ago.

Back to the topic, I assume you have checked all PS voltages and shaken the big blue caps to see if they rattle?
And the guy in the picture sits in the cubicle next to me in his current gig.

grich

Post by grich » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:48 pm

I know nothing of the DX series but I had step-start issues (as I suspect many did...there was a bulletin about it) with their SX boxes when the aux contacts on the contactors got cruddy and would not report closure to the controller.

RGORJANCE

Re: And the guy in the picture sits in the cubicle next to me in his current gig.

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Weeeelllll! Time for a war story.

Back in the day I happened to be in the area doing some DA measurements on that very station. This was waaaay back during the really big floods they had out there.

As we were finishing up, I was standing in front of that very xmttr during a huge thunderstorm. A tremendous lightning strike hit the site, the concrete floor rippled, the lights blinked, the DX-10 sat there, took it like a man-------and never even blinked! The Fossil, on the other hand had a ringing in his ears for about 10 seconds, then I checked my shorts for foreign substances.

Wow that strike was right up there at the top of all strikes. Sure impressed me that the rig took that kind of a" lickin and kept on tickin".

Fossil

Bosco

Post by Bosco » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:59 pm

This is the guy that was in that picture. I can vouch that the transmitter that was there (and as far as I know IS STILL THERE and in service) is serial #2. No. 1 was the test bed at the factory in Quincy. That was driving a 6 tower parallelogram with 2 towers on day and all at night. 10kw day and 5kw night. I also tested a BE AM 10 that was new at the time.... It didn't work as well as the DX 10 did. We had power line problems with a poor neutral at the site that wasn't found until I left the station. The DX didn't care. The AM 10 did. We were blowing power supplies in it almost weekly until the test was ended.

The engineer who took over after me has had very little trouble with it. Just the usual aging of components. It replaced the RCA BTA10F and a later 1971 vintage Collins 820 F1 series. A very cool rig for the time.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:31 pm

Ditto on recommending you talk with Ralph. I just finished a frequency change on a DX-10. There are some capacitor-type changes in the new models, which we had to adapt to my client's rig. Ralph worked through the version numbers, went out to the factory and got some pictures of a model that was under construction and we eventually put enough info together to get current parts and adapter plates into this older unit.

It's up and purring right along. If I can't have a new Nautel, I'll take a used DX-10 any day.

Yes, it is still Gates Air's current model, but with all the hand wiring and PA card count in there, I think Nautel's price may be competitive, not to mention their design is a version or two newer and has features that hadn't been invented when the DX-10 first came out.

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Agree, the old Harris DX line were good solid reliable transmitters. Usually dependable. Arguably my favorite SS transmitter from Big H.