BE AM-1A Power Supply

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
Slab Bulkhead

BE AM-1A Power Supply

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:40 am

I have a sick AM-1A that has the infamous flashing light syndrome on the controller. I'm familiar with the cause and the replacement off-the-shelf supply (or poaching of Starguide supply) but since I have not done one of these replacements before, wanted to confirm that this supply is the one located inside the controller/exciter card cage. Am I correct?

I have tried in the past to convince the owner to keep a spare around, but apparently he doesn't mind sitting off the air a day or two to wait for parts.

RGORJANCE

Re: BE AM-1A Power Supply

Post by RGORJANCE » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 am

Ya sure, you betcha! That's the one. Look at it carefully and you should see a couple of screws on the metal cover. These screws go into mretallic standoffs. Pull those screws from INSIDE the controller enclosure, not outside. That will reveal the power supply in all it's "living color". The rest is pretty easy.

As I recall, there are a couple slip on connectors to pull, and there is a plastic connector at the end of the power supply you need to pull. It is at the far inside back wall of the controller box.

We did it the hard way by unscrewing the screws on the outside of the enclosure. Loosened the metal standoffs and caused a few minutes of extra work. You know, the manual was totally devoid of detail on this. Too soon olt, too late schmart!

Fossil

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:11 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 am
Ya sure, you betcha! That's the one. Look at it carefully and you should see a couple of screws on the metal cover. These screws go into mretallic standoffs. Pull those screws from INSIDE the controller enclosure, not outside. That will reveal the power supply in all it's "living color". The rest is pretty easy.

As I recall, there are a couple slip on connectors to pull, and there is a plastic connector at the end of the power supply you need to pull. It is at the far inside back wall of the controller box.

We did it the hard way by unscrewing the screws on the outside of the enclosure. Loosened the metal standoffs and caused a few minutes of extra work. You know, the manual was totally devoid of detail on this. Too soon olt, too late schmart!

Fossil
I noticed that lack of detail too, which is why I figured I'd put the question out to the experts who have dealt with this before. Thanks for the tips!

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 am

If you cycle the front panel breaker on and off quickly a few times the bad supply will sometimes restart and run until the power blinks again. I have had about 50% success with this. I now keep a spare PS in my truck (one of the few spare parts that I carry these days other than a spare LNB).
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:10 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 am
If you cycle the front panel breaker on and off quickly a few times the bad supply will sometimes restart and run until the power blinks again. I have had about 50% success with this. I now keep a spare PS in my truck (one of the few spare parts that I carry these days other than a spare LNB).
Interesting. I had heard of applying heat (via hair dryer or heat gun) to try and warm up bad caps enough to make it run, but hadn't heard this one. As it turned out, it arrived yesterday and swapping it out fixed the problem. I am going to try shotgunning the caps in the old supply to see if that makes it into a good shelf spare.

This one was definitely past the average lifespan, I think it had made it 13 or 14 years.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:21 pm

That power off / power on solution was a common, but temporary fix for that power supply. BE went to a different model with the same pinouts, but you only found out about it when yours failed.

Don't have my spare handy, but I did confirm it was an off-the-shelf model. Power One, iirc. About half the price online.

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:39 am

Each of these BE AM1A rigs I maintain, we keep a spare power supply for at all times. So far out of three, one has had the Power Supply replaced. We got our Power One supplies for these online.