Barix 500 Update Error

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
Mike Phillips

Barix 500 Update Error

Post by Mike Phillips » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:07 am

We bought three Barix 500s recently. The firmware updated easily on two of them, but on the third one, when I try to upload config.bin, I get Error 14. Rebooting and resetting the device doesn't help. Nor does using a different web browser. Any thoughts on a solution?

Also, Barix told me that there's a way to use one receiver with two "transmitters" whereby one of the transmitters overrides the other by connecting on an alternate port. Can someone explain that setup to me? I haven't found it in the manual yet.

Thanks.

kkiddkkidd

Re: Barix 500 Update Error

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:02 am

Did you try the factory reset? IIRC, hold down the reset switch for 10+ seconds.

I recall hearing about a firmware recovery mode if an update fails but it sounds like yours just won't upload the new FW.

Regards,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Mike Phillips

Post by Mike Phillips » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:29 am

Yes, I did. No luck. It's only down one revision, so I should be okay until I can get someone at Barix or LineQ. It's just frustrating.

Mike Phillips

Post by Mike Phillips » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:40 pm

The first problem is solved. It's necessary to use the correct .bin file! Now the second question is the important one.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:13 pm

In the unit you're using for the "receiver", the 3 url lines are chosen from the top down. If a stream is available at #3, but nothing is available at the 1 or 2 urls, then 3 will play. If, while 3 is running, a valid stream becomes available from the URL 1 or 2 field, then that stream will take over. #1 takes priority over everything. If an upper-level stream disappears, then the Extreamer will look downward for a useable stream. In my circle, most people use the alternate URLs for backup purposes, in order to avoid dead air should the main link go down. However, there's no reason you couldn't use this setup, for example, to carry around an Instreamer for remote broadcast purposes. Once put online, with a stream being sent, it could be set to take priority automatically.

At the encoder, you can turn the stream on and off by selecting the presence of audio or a pin on the serial port as a control.

The Extreamer also has a "priority port", which you can also use for the purpose you describe, but this one is not quite as flexible. It does have a separate volume control however, which is what storecasters use to make those periodic commercial breaks in their background music more "forefront" (read: louder).

Mike Phillips

Post by Mike Phillips » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks, Jack. The people at Barix are trying to help, but I'm not following their explanation. According to them, I have to replace the firmware on the decoder with "Streaming Client" version. The firmware on each encoder has to be replaced with the "Standard Instreamer" version. It's really confusing to me as a newbie with Barix boxes.

I'm going to read your post a few more times to see if I can understand it.

Case in point. Barix says, "You can send a TCP, UDP, or CGI command over the internet with another port forward rule at the location, without using any remote access software." They don't tell me HOW to send such a command. I guess a Barix unit is "The Voice of Simplicity" if you already know how to set it up!

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 am

OK... you're trying to understand two separate issues at the same time.

As to firmware: The Barix "Extreamer 500" can actually work as an "Extreamer" (decoder) or an "Instreamer" (encoder), depending on what firmware you have loaded into it.

As they come, the "500" models come with selectable "STL" and "Reflector" firmware loaded in them. This won't work for your purpose.

So...

At the encoding end, you want to load "Instreamer" firmware. The unit at the decoding end needs "Streaming Client" firmware.

After you do that, you're set up to program the network and stream parameters you're talking about needing.

Firmware downloads are available at http://www.barix.com/downloads/