recommend ubiquity?

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
Dan P

recommend ubiquity?

Post by Dan P » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:48 pm

OK guys. A big Thanks to Deep Thought. He is correct, I should use unlicensed stuff vs 601 marti.I will not bore everyone with costs, but new unlicensed looks less expensive than licensing marti stuff we own. Have heard from 1 or 2 with legit concerns, and 1 over 150 miles away that we are shooting away from claiming possible interference.
For an 850 foot shot, what ubiquiti stuff would you guys use? And encode/decode, is Barix OK? If so, which boxes? Need to send 1 stereo, and 2 mono shots.
Thanks in advance
Dan

Bill DeFelice

Re: recommend ubiquity?

Post by Bill DeFelice » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:11 am

Northeast radio engineer Paul Thurst and crew installed the gear at an AM local to me with a two mile hop between studio and transmitter. Here's a couple of his blog posts (one just a few days old) that may be of help. I don't know if they used the unlicensed model or not for this application:

Ubiquiti Nanobridge M5 IP radio

Fifth Generation WLAN
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Xenirad

Re: recommend ubiquity?

Post by Xenirad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:47 pm

I have many Ubiquity radios in operation as STL's. Started using Carlson and had some problems with them tried the Ubiquity despite the cheap cost and found they are very reliable and flexible. I have built a system for one customer who connects two studios in two separate cities together and 3 transmitters in the middle works very well. Make sure to use high quality shielded cable so far the best I have found for water resistance is the Ubiquity Tough Cable.

Barix will work well in this instance since it is not over a public network. I prefer something better such as Comrex Brick Links but Barix will be fine.
Fred Francis, Owner Xenirad Broadcast Engineering http://www.xenirad.com