Experience with TFT 5200 STL systems?

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
ChuckG

Experience with TFT 5200 STL systems?

Post by ChuckG » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:15 am

In particular the TFT 5115-5290 transmiter/receiver combo. Spec sheet says frequency agile and field-configurable for mono or composite operation.
This is exactly what I need for a particular application, to replace a failed Marti STL 10 temporarily, then convert to Composite with a new processor down the road. Anyone have any experience with it or recommendations or reservations on TFT stl equipment? Ideas on a similar alternative?

Thanks!
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kkiddkkidd

Re: Experience with TFT 5200 STL systems?

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:44 am

TFT= Try to Fix This. I can't speak to their new stuff but I came to hate the old TFT STL's.

I have a couple of rental Nicom freq agile pairs that will do mono or composite at the flip of a switch. Mosely is also good stuff.

Later,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:47 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:TFT= Try to Fix This. I can't speak to their new stuff but I came to hate the old TFT STL's.

I have a couple of rental Nicom freq agile pairs that will do mono or composite at the flip of a switch. Mosely is also good stuff.

Later,
TFT = Too Few Transistors. I know of a few stations using them. Haven't heard much. I know so many more using Moseley units, however.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 pm

Just as a follow up- the Moseleys were considerably more costly so TFT it is.
They are about what one would expect at the given price. Power supplies and RF output stage are field replaceable, the rest of the unit is SMT. They powered right up and work as they should....after adding two audio jumpers the factory forgot, that is. Could not have possibly run audio tests at the factory as-shipped. Daryl at TFT offered to send parts but I had them on hand.
This triggered a flashback to the last TFT STL set I dealt with, installed in 1988. It came with a PCB wiring error from the factory. That pair then ran the next 26 years troublefree. Seems their final test process hasn't changed much.

My biggest concern is the receiver power supply. They are cheap MeanWell switching units with no additional AC line filtering or surge suppression. See picture. This is asking for trouble, particularly located out in the transmitter shack with dirty rural power. I'll be adding a good outboard AC filter/suppressor.
The good news (I guess) is that I can put a spare PSU on the shelf for $10 plus shipping from Mouser. It's on order.
Attachments
CAM00054.jpg
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:43 am

Ran into the same thing with an Armstrong (i.e.--RVR) STL transmitter. No line filtering, we would be assaulted periodically by a vicious pulse coming in the power lines that would get into the audio. Ended up installing an outboard Corecom line filter, and a dual conversion UPS to tame things down.

level42

Post by level42 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:04 pm

I had one of the first sets of these off the line. They were supposed to be able to pass subcarrier, but would not. After talking to the factory, they were supposed to have subcarrier cards, but did not. They shipped us the cards, but they were too tall to fit in the unit with the lid on...had to cut a slot in the lid with a Dremel tool. Output board on the TX burned badly within the first few weeks. TFT claimed it was lightning damage (it was not) and wanted $1000 to fix it. I rebuilt it myself...or rather...I waaay overbuilt it. Been running fine since. Last TFT thing I ever have bought or ever will buy.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:31 am

I don't have any complaints with TFT STL systems personally, but let's review the less-than-complimentary top three things people have associated with the TFT name:

* Time For Trouble
* Try Fixing This
* Totally Fried Trash

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Kelly wrote:I don't have any complaints with TFT STL systems personally, but let's review the less-than-complimentary top three things people have associated with the TFT name:

* Time For Trouble
* Try Fixing This
* Totally Fried Trash
Toys For Tots. :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 am

That's for That.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html