Barix Exstreamer

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
oldradioguy

Barix Exstreamer

Post by oldradioguy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:13 am

Using these for STL purposes...All was running well and then the receive Exstreamer just stopped.

When power is applied, no LED action on the front panel, but the green link light is lit even if there is no ethernet plugged in. Plugging in the ethernet keeps the green light lit, but no activity light action, and of course no IP announcement. I have tried a default reset with no change.

Is this thing a crispy critter, or is there something I can do inside to resurrect it?

Deep Thought

Re: Barix Exstreamer

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:37 am

Sounds like it could be a power supply failure. I've had a lot of Chinese switching wall warts die at about 2 years due to capacitor failure on the output side of the regulator which causes the output current capacity to drop way below the nameplate rating. You have to test it under load to see the problem though. The symptoms usually mimic what you described...some lights on but the unit is locked up. Not sure if that is the issue with your Barix but it would be a good place to start looking.

Having said that, these will accept just about anything...

Electrical
• 9 to 30 VDC, 12 to 24 VAC, 6 Watt max.
• 2.1mm barrel connector

Before you hurl it off the mountain I'd test the power supply.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

oldradioguy

Post by oldradioguy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks Mr. Thought. I'll dig up another one and try that...

oldradioguy

Post by oldradioguy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks Mr. Thought. I'll dig up another one and try that...

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:12 pm

I'll second DT's suggestion. I use quite a few of those Barix boxes and they're pretty bulletproof. The wall warts are a different story though. 8)
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:44 pm

oldradioguy wrote:Using these for STL purposes...All was running well and then the receive Exstreamer just stopped.

When power is applied, no LED action on the front panel, but the green link light is lit even if there is no ethernet plugged in. Plugging in the ethernet keeps the green light lit, but no activity light action, and of course no IP announcement. I have tried a default reset with no change.

Is this thing a crispy critter, or is there something I can do inside to resurrect it?
I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago at an LPFM I maintain. Failed wall-wart was the issue.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

oldradioguy

Post by oldradioguy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:41 am

Well, I pulled the power adaptor off a working instreamer and plugged it in and same result. I'll dig around and find another one. Maybe it's the right on the edge and needs an extra half volt or something. Thanks for the help.