Comrex Bric Link II - STL

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
KJ6EO

Re: Comrex Bric Link II - STL

Post by KJ6EO » Fri May 29, 2015 3:26 pm

I received (1) of my Bric Link II's. I configured it and took it out to the rack for some tests. The "Loopback Feature" is really nice. You can tell what it's going to sound like even if you only have one. It had defaulted to 64K AAC so just for the heck of it I decided to see what it sounded like. It didn't sound good for music. So, I reconfigured it for FLAC .... Ahhhh that's more like it. It really sounded good on FLAC. My transmitter is connected to a dummy load. If I park my car in the driveway, the signal is strong enough to hear it on my car stereo. I couldn't hear any processing artifacts at all, it sounded just as good as if I was plugged directly into the processor. Yes, these Bric's should do just fine. I ordered (2), Paid for (2), but only received (1). The invoice says (2) were shipped ... but I only got (1). So hopefully that will get resolved quickly.

Xenirad

Re: Comrex Bric Link II - STL

Post by Xenirad » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:41 pm

The new OPUS algorithm is available with a firmware update and sounds much better at lower bitrates. Talking to Comrex they tell me there are two settings that are critical for less than perfect networks connections, turn on UDP reliability and turn off collision avoidance. They say the collision avoidance doesn't work properly and can cause bit errors which I have found to be true. UDP reliability actually has some forward error correction which is not UDP but that is what Comrex told me. Also you can turn up the delay and buffer if you have a really nasty network like public internet. I ran these for an STL over public internet with a DSL for over a year while the STL path was established with good results after increasing the delay to 3000ms which allows for considerable packet loss.
Fred Francis, Owner Xenirad Broadcast Engineering http://www.xenirad.com