Barix repair

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
oldradioguy

Barix repair

Post by oldradioguy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Does anybody work on these. I can't find anything on the website. I have four exstreamers that have conked in the last few months. One totally dead. One no ethernet response. One I can log into but no audio out and one with highly distorted audio out. At the price point, probably not worth fixing unless I can get a volume discount.

RodeoJack

Re: Barix repair

Post by RodeoJack » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:46 am

If you open one up, you'll find it's not really designed for extensive bench work.

I haven't seen Barix release schematics & operational theory explanations of those boards, though I admit I haven't taken the time to look very hard.

Pretty surprised you have a collection of cooked units. I've been on their chat group for some time and that doesn't come up often at all. I've had to restore a couple through the serial cable (my fault), but I've never had one actually die yet... and they (and bric-links) are fairly popular in my area.

If it really is cooked and you can't restore it through the serial (null cable) method, it's probably time for a new one.

If it was a 500 or 1000 however, that might be worth shooting an email to Barix about.

KPJL FM

Re: Barix repair

Post by KPJL FM » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:19 am

have you tried really good power supplies?
If they light up, use a serial null cable to reset the networking to your needed configuration.
If they're really old, capacitors on the ps rails is suspect.
and, check the audio in isn't the distortion source (things do get changed without your knowing about it, ya know!) :lol:
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.