Best Ubiquity Setup

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
sallen

Best Ubiquity Setup

Post by sallen » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:40 am

I find myself using the NSM5 and the Rocket Radio matched with the 30db dish for IP links for audio. Lately I have been trying different configuration with Airmax on and off and lowering bandwidth and or the transmit speed to optimize the link set up. Going from 20mhz to 10mhz can help with signal level. Setting the transmit speed lower and taking it out of auto can sometimes help.

I'm using the Barix encoder/decoder and on a good link can run uncompressed PCM, otherwise it's the fastest MP3. Is anyone using a different encoder/decoder match with a ubiquity link? Any one using a bric-link on a Ubiquity set up?

jakebechtold

Re: Best Ubiquity Setup

Post by jakebechtold » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:49 pm

I have three sites I'm reaching with Bullet M5s and grid dishes and having great success. Two of the three hops I have Z/IP Ones running secondary audio, and the other is running a Z/IP One as Primary audio to my AM site. We have the occasional hiccup but it's usually rock solid. We run HE-AAC at 96kbps and it sounds just as good, if not better, than our Digital 950 STLs (which are uncompressed!)

Our sister stations in Washington state are doing similar with Bric Links as well... some of their hops work better than others but the ones that don't work have (in my opinion) questionable shots. The shots that do work work well. They also have mountains to deal with out there... I'm in a giant river valley and everything is flat, which makes a difference :D. I know they are running AAC out there, but I don't recall what flavor off the top of my head.
Jake Bechtold, CBT, CBNT
Assistant Engineer, Radio FM Media
Fargo, ND
KDØTGA
@jakebechtold

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:56 am

I haven't messed with their 5 GHz stuff, but I did replace a LanLink with a couple of the Loco M900 units (just leaving the units indoors and connecting onto the LanLink diplexing filter). There was a certain amount of tinkering involved to find the bandwidth and rate sweet spot but I still wound up able to get 6-8 Mbit out of it which was better than the 1 Mbit of the LanLink.

Xenirad

Post by Xenirad » Sun May 08, 2016 4:48 am

I have several stations running Comrex Bric-Links over Ubiquity networks. I have one customer who has 5 links in series across multiple hops to get from one town to another and is running 3 sets of Brics and 2 Barix as well as internet from one studio to another with great success. I also have a LPTV running ASI over IP across NanoStation M5 for an STL and it works very well and the ASI stream is 20Mbps.
Fred Francis, Owner Xenirad Broadcast Engineering http://www.xenirad.com

smalltownbroadcaster

Post by smalltownbroadcaster » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Slab Bulkhead wrote:I haven't messed with their 5 GHz stuff, but I did replace a LanLink with a couple of the Loco M900 units (just leaving the units indoors and connecting onto the LanLink diplexing filter). There was a certain amount of tinkering involved to find the bandwidth and rate sweet spot but I still wound up able to get 6-8 Mbit out of it which was better than the 1 Mbit of the LanLink.
Hi Slab,

How do you get bidirectional over a 950 duplexed link? In other words I want MARTI 950mhz and 900mhz loco on same dish / line. However, the loco would require bi directional from studio to tower and tower to studio. Is this possible? Or do you need a duplexer at both ends.... sorry, quite a newb.

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:06 pm

smalltownbroadcaster wrote:
Slab Bulkhead wrote:I haven't messed with their 5 GHz stuff, but I did replace a LanLink with a couple of the Loco M900 units (just leaving the units indoors and connecting onto the LanLink diplexing filter). There was a certain amount of tinkering involved to find the bandwidth and rate sweet spot but I still wound up able to get 6-8 Mbit out of it which was better than the 1 Mbit of the LanLink.
Hi Slab,

How do you get bidirectional over a 950 duplexed link? In other words I want MARTI 950mhz and 900mhz loco on same dish / line. However, the loco would require bi directional from studio to tower and tower to studio. Is this possible? Or do you need a duplexer at both ends.... sorry, quite a newb.
Yes, you need a diplexing filter at both ends to isolate the STL and the Ubiquiti radio. In our case, we had the old style Lanlink which was basically a filter and a 1 Mbit/sec radio. I just connected the Loco units to the Lanlink side of the diplexing filter that passes the 902-928 MHz frequency range. You can buy the same diplexing filter from Microwave Filter Company as well. It's got about 2dB insertion loss in the passband of each side so if your STL is marginal you'll have to take that into account. Our shot is very short (2.25 miles) so the loss isn't an issue. We are using Starlink STL units without the amp on the transmit side and still have plenty of signal.

The Loco radios are not full-duplex, I believe they are TDMA, but the connection is still bidirectional because of the time-slotting scheme.

fmrfman

Post by fmrfman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:18 am

We are using Ubiquity Rocket M5s. 11 Miles. Low end Barix encoding PCM on send side and VLC media player on a PC decoding on receive side.

Encoder

Post by Encoder » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Ubiquiti has for sure changed the market with their bottom of the barrel pricing. If your in a low noise environment they can do pretty well. Where I am located its a ridiculously high noise area and as such is not about the signal strength. You can have a great signal but the Ubiquiti gear is very sensitive to interference. You can try to use dishes and you can also buy shield kits for the dishes now to reduce the noise level. Also you can get slant 45 dishes or conversion kits for your existing Airmax dishes and that seems to help with stability and throughput. Ultimately we ended up using a licensed 11Ghz for one link. Trango Stratalink 400Mbps at 10 miles. and we use a Ligowave 3.65Ghz at 16 miles. And we have had terrific results with the Cambium ePMP 1000 series paired with slant 45 Airfiber dishes. Just switching the radio section from a rocket M5 to a ePMP 5Ghz we doubled the throughput. Cambium has been in the business for a long time and they have some mechanism to maintain stable reliable connections in a high noise environment. On each of the tower sites we use Barix 500, Barix 1000 units and they have been rock solid. Typically my rule of thumb is that even on a somewhat iffy link if you can keep latency under 200ms the buffering can hold. But after my infancy stages with learning the PTP link setups I now include a modest fade margin to account for inclement weather.

Wish you well with your project.

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:29 pm

They are stupid expensive but I am using the Radwin 3.5 GHz unlicensed stuff in a very tough metropolitan environment. The hops range from 5 to 7 miles and I use the T1 channel slots for the audio so that I could continue to use the old Harris/Intraplex T1 systems. I only use them for an extended off-site extension of the station network (remote control, RDS, security cameras, etc) and the T1 based audio which is a backup audio chain to the 950 MHz radios.

The Radwin stuff is pretty bulletproof but since it is unlicensed I have had to change frequencies from time to time when someone else lights up on a channel next to me or on top of me.

...Lee