Need rotor for a 5ghz link

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
Jim Sofonia

Need rotor for a 5ghz link

Post by Jim Sofonia » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:36 pm

I just installed a 5ghz Ubiquity link to do the Blue Angels air show. Only had to shoot .2 miles from the beach to our roof top and it worked great. With the huge crowds that show up and everybody is on the cell service comes to a halt during these events. The Ubiquity was the ticket. I had also installed a rotor so we can shoot to other areas of downtown, but the RCA I bought from Amazon easily gets out of sync with the controller. The cheap thing uses timing to guess the position of the rotor and works poorly. The only other rotors I see are the massive ones the ham radio guys use. The Ubiquity dish only about 12" dia. and very light, but I am looking for something with accurate positioning. Any recommendations? The Channel Master that Amazon has doesn't look any better as it too uses just three conductors. Left, right, and common. No data feedback.

PID_Stop

Re: Need rotor for a 5ghz link

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:38 pm

A number of years ago, I installed a Yaesu G-800SA rotator for a 2GHz ENG receive antenna atop a downtown building; it was pricier than consumer rotators (about $300 at the time), but it held up in ice and snow with no attention for years, until Sprint / Nextel replaced the whole thing. Like you, we needed accurate position display; this rotator couples a potentiometer to the mast plate to provide position feedback to the controller. As it happens, I built my own controller to handle this rotator, controls for a video switcher, data passthrough for the camera's pan/tilt/zoom functions, and receiver AGC reading... the whole thing ran over a leased line modem and was controlled by a PC back at the studio.

At any rate, it's certainly overkill from a mechanical point of view... but I'd be hard pressed to find a rotator that worked better.

-- Jeff

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:30 pm

I see Alliance rotors (click-clack-click-clack-click-clack) on ebay pretty cheap. They are old but have reasonably accurate BUT may not be able to resolve the accuracy needed for a 5.8 dish.

I have a couple customers using the newer 3 wire rotors for RPU RX antenna steering and after having them do a recalibration (or whatever they call it) the accuracy seems to be OK for a few days. Sometimes it is months between their uses so they typically do a recal before every operation.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:53 am

WTCM wrote:I just installed a 5ghz Ubiquity link to do the Blue Angels air show. Only had to shoot .2 miles from the beach to our roof top and it worked great. With the huge crowds that show up and everybody is on the cell service comes to a halt during these events. The Ubiquity was the ticket. I had also installed a rotor so we can shoot to other areas of downtown, but the RCA I bought from Amazon easily gets out of sync with the controller. The cheap thing uses timing to guess the position of the rotor and works poorly. The only other rotors I see are the massive ones the ham radio guys use. The Ubiquity dish only about 12" dia. and very light, but I am looking for something with accurate positioning. Any recommendations? The Channel Master that Amazon has doesn't look any better as it too uses just three conductors. Left, right, and common. No data feedback.

Had excellent luck with the Yaesu rotators. I recommend them.

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/pr ... =Ascending

df

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:37 am

It would be more simple to use sector antennas, either 3 120 degree or 4 90 degree. This leaves all alignment in the hands of the person doing setup. You'l have to do some advance engineering, though, to match gain and beam tilt to the area you really want to cover. This will save a lot of time and effort durung setup. Otherwise, you really need an EL AZ rotator.