Using a single Marti for l/r audio

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
smalltownbroadcaster

Using a single Marti for l/r audio

Post by smalltownbroadcaster » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:44 am

I know it's not the preferred way.... but is there anything 'wrong' with using a single Marti mono transmitter / receiver to send L / R audio?

In other words, feed the input of the Marti TX with both L and R audio?

I know it wont be the best stereo separation possible, but it sounds okay to these old ears. Anything blatenly wrong with it? Stereo signal is generated in the exciter after pulling l and r from Marti receiver.

jammerdave

Re: Using a single Marti for l/r audio

Post by jammerdave » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:55 am

smalltownbroadcaster wrote:I know it's not the preferred way.... but is there anything 'wrong' with using a single Marti mono transmitter / receiver to send L / R audio?

In other words, feed the input of the Marti TX with both L and R audio?

I know it wont be the best stereo separation possible, but it sounds okay to these old ears. Anything blatenly wrong with it? Stereo signal is generated in the exciter after pulling l and r from Marti receiver.

That will not work at all. You just will get summed mono.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:25 am

It sounds a bit like you were using separate pairs of Martis for your left and right. The basic answer to your question is, 'Yes'... you can mix both channels and feed them through one STL pair. However, when you pull the audio out of the one receiver at the transmitter and feed it to both left and right inputs of your exciter, you'll have equal versions of left and right going into each side, essentially transmitting what Jammerdave says... mono. If you actually do perceive separation, it's probably because you cross-phased the two channels at the exciter. Everything will sound permanently wide, but nobody with a monaural receiver will hear anything.

If you decide to do this, you might as well turn off your stereo pilot, because there won't be actual stereo separation. You took care of that at the studio when you tied both left and right to the same transmitter.

smalltownbroadcaster

Post by smalltownbroadcaster » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:34 am

Doh!

Thanks for the clarification. So while our other Marti is out indefinitely being repaired... whats the best suggestion? Just running mono?

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:29 am

That's what I would do and have done. Many folks won't notice. Those who do probably won't drop you for it, though it might get some to call who wouldn't otherwise have let you know they were there.

You DO want to sum L and R, as you have done, especially if you're playing oldies or other music with large separation. Good Vibrations sounds pretty weird on one-channel-only!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Slab Bulkhead

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:28 am

Shane wrote:That's what I would do and have done. Many folks won't notice. Those who do probably won't drop you for it, though it might get some to call who wouldn't otherwise have let you know they were there.

You DO want to sum L and R, as you have done, especially if you're playing oldies or other music with large separation. Good Vibrations sounds pretty weird on one-channel-only!
Also if you do that and play the stereo mix of Yellow Submarine you either get just the vocals or you get the karaoke version.

W2XJ

Post by W2XJ » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:08 pm

More and more stations are running mono these days by choice