Starlink LAN

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
Slab Bulkhead

Re: Starlink LAN

Post by Slab Bulkhead » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:26 am

Lee_Wheeler wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:43 pm
I am fascinated by this as well. How did you go about getting the Ubiquiti radios to work without cross polarization? I thought the way Ubiquiti did duplex was to send and receive on the same frequency but on the other polarity (ie: TX-Horizontal, RX-Vertical).

I would love to buy some cheap Ubiquiti 900 MHz stuff to back up my 3.6 GHz radios for data.

...Lee
We had 950 MHz equipment and moved sites. Since the only thing available there at the time was 768kbps DSL, we decided to avoid paying the phone company for crappy service and bought a Moseley LanLink system. Basically a diplexing filter and a 1 Mbps radio (the radio is half duplex). I saw an article somewhere about upgrading such a system using the Ubiquiti radios. I got a couple of used Loco M900's on eBay and some RP-SMA to N cables. Powered off and disconnected the LanLink radios, connected the Ubiquitis to the 900 MHz side of the filter, and powered them up.

On the M900s you have to set them to 1x1 mode using the external antenna connector only. They will run half-duplex so there's no cross-pol to worry about. If you want full duplex you need to get something fancier like the AirFiber series.

Since this was installed, another tenant came to the site and used his connections inside the cable company to get them to run high speed internet. However, we decided we'd rather just stick with this and save the $60 a month or whatever they charge for "business" internet.

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:43 pm

900 diplexer info update, if anyone cares...

The diplexer in the moseley box was not in fact a Microwave Filter Company product. I only assumed it was, as googling all over only resulted in that one. I just took our two boxes apart to get the diplexers out and found they are from a Korean company. No idea how to buy one, other than maybe through moseley. See attached pic. Googling the model number will get a PDF of all the stuff they make and specs.
diplex.jpg
dave

lewiscallaway wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:16 am
Has anyone used the LAN on the Moseley Starlink? I understand it is simplex, so what can you really do with it?

Could we use a barix on both ends of it if it is in RTP mode? We are trying to get two more channels of audio out to our transmitter.

Thanks!

lewiscallaway

Post by lewiscallaway » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:52 am

I haven't seen it with my own eyes, or know exactly how it is setup, but the other engineer I work with was able to get the Barix to work over the LAN port on the Starlink. He was surprised it worked!

taylorengineer

Post by taylorengineer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:48 pm

The Starlink simplex LAN is included for HD data transport and works well for that purpose.
There used to be an issue with running audio codecs over Lanlinks but can't remember what the problem was and if it has been resolved.