Moving SS32 to new Win 7 machines

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
sam_hickman

Moving SS32 to new Win 7 machines

Post by sam_hickman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 am

Hey everybody. I just took over at a low-power FM running SS32 through a couple old PCs. We're trying to slowly upgrade, and our first step is transferring SS32 to some new on-air and production machines. I've done some talking with support and other reps at Wide Orbit so I made some decisions based on the info they gave me. I found this forum and was hoping someone might be able to help me get started. We just moved studios, and we are in a building owned by another network. When they got us set up, they didn't connect us to their network because our machines were old and cyber security and all that. We also are looking at getting a live stream set up, so we needed to upgrade for multiple reasons and we aren't in a position to fully upgrade to the new Wide Orbit.

We just purchased two computers with Windows 7 Pro (64 bit, I believe), 8G of RAM, i7s, and a TB of hard drive. the WO folks said the best way to go would be to set up the new computers by naming things as closely to the old ones to make the transition as smooth as possible. I'm thinking using an ethernet cable with be the most efficient way of transferring all the files. We also have to move our ASI 6044 from our production machine over to the new air computer because our 4000 series running on Windows 2000 won't be compatible with anything. Our new production machine will just be using a usb audio interface.

So, since I'm not really sure how I even go about doing all of those things, can anyone give me a rundown of how to go about this process? Feel free to explain it to me like I'm 12. :D

Also, based on the specs and info I gave, do you see any potential issues that will need to be addressed? I saw another thread that said as 32 bit system running a 6044 was the best way to go. That's not what WO told me. Is there a good work around, or have they updated drivers since then? That thread might have been from 2015.

Thanks for whatever help you can give.

ChuckG

Re: Moving SS32 to new Win 7 machines

Post by ChuckG » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm

32 bit, 64 bit, doesn't matter to Scott. Nor does it use much memory. The on-air machines can be just about anything as long as the audio cards fit.
Production you'll build up to run your audio editors, Adobe or whatever you choose. TLC will be just fine on whatever you end up with.

ASI no longer keeps those old drivers on their website, but BSI does. You'll find what you need here:
http://www.bsiusa.com/support/asi_driver_list.php
There are no longer any updates for the cards you have, just match the card number with the OS- use the WAV driver if there is an option.

If your current machines have both a C and D drive, create a D drive on your new machines ,moving the CD/DVD drive up to a different letter if it's sitting on D now. You can do this by installing a second hard drive (easiest), or re-partitioning the current one.
If there is only a "C" drive, which would be very unusual for a Scott install, ignore the above, and ignore #1 below.

So....

On Air (SS32) machine:
1)Create a "D" drive. Name it "audio" and share it on the network. This share needs to be visible to Dispatch and your Traffic machine.
2) Turn OFF windows sounds. (control panel). Disable the motherboard sound chip if possible (BIOS setting)
3) Set windows power settings to "always on" and the monitor to "never sleep"
4) Copy the "SS32" and "AUDIO" folders from the old SS32 to the new.
5) Install the ASI card
6) Install the ASI driver.
7) Create a shortcut to "SS32.exe" in the "SS32" folder and place it on the desktop and optionally in the startup folder.
8 ) Install your serial devices- usually an audio switcher and a touchscreen, using the same serial port numbers they were in on the old machine.
(alternately you''ll have to go to OPTIONS, CONFIG, SERIAL and set those devices up in the new serial port numbers)
That should be it. Start up the SS32 program, accept the license agreement and you should be good to go.

Production:

Moving TLC to Windows 7 and above comes up so often I have put together an information sheet. There are settings to change and files to copy by hand. I have it attached here.
I have copies of the TLC and Dongle install files and can send them if you need them.

It is helpful if all SCOTT machines share the same workgroup name and have static IP addresses (not DHCP).
If you can segment them away from general office traffic on the network, you'll sleep better next time someone asks about a questionable email after they've already opened it.....

Good luck!
Attachments
TLC Setup Windows 7 8 10.pdf
(95.38 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:21 am

I'll add that if you have to change any computer/drive/station folder names, follow the old 8 character rule. Do not use spaces. And use the fully qualified path names in dispatch.
Did I see that the old pc's were Win2K? SS32 will work fine in XP. Since M$oft has quit supporting it, assume they finally fixed it :lol:
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

sam_hickman

Post by sam_hickman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:23 am

ChuckG - That is extremely helpful. Thanks so much! It also seems like a lot of that can be done with the current machines still running. I like the idea of minimized dead air during the transfer. I was also planning on going through the settings on SS32, VT, and TLC and taking pictures to give me an idea of how everything needs to be routed in case it doesn't come back up exactly the way it was or if we've got some custom settings that might cause issues. And, having it all written out like that makes it seem not as daunting as I thought it might be.

The air machine is using 2000. I'm am still amazed that it hasn't just shut down, especially since we recently moved physical locations. I though for sure it wouldn't survive. The production computer running XP is still stable, but they IT guy for the network that is housing us is concerned about out of date security. And, at this point, Win 7 is the oldest operating system most of the additional stuff we need (streaming software, production suite, etc.) will support.

This station has been an adventure, for sure.