SS32

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
bogointeractive

Re: SS32

Post by bogointeractive » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Could be. SS is freaky like that. I would let it run for a couple of days and see or if it freaks before then I would check the TCP/IP settings since it is running on Windows XP I am sure and make sure they are all setup nicely. If not there might be an issue in the PC's themselves.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Doug Erdman wrote:Other than fixing the problems there could that be what is causing all my studio computers to freak out??
Many things can cause networking problems on a Windows network. Do you have one machine designated as the master browser and the others set so that "MaintainServerList" = False? Are there any XP Home machines on the network? Anywhere other than a small home network they may not play well with others.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

radiorok

Post by radiorok » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:48 am

Just remembered another freaky experience with SS32

One system went down, so I used the Production machine that was functioning properly as a backup

When I put it in service it would just keep re-booting

Found the CAT 5 had an issue and was causing the machine to re-booot

Worked fine without being connected

I replaced the cable and all was well

grich

Post by grich » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:31 am

Some of the stations in our group had chased all sorts of computer problems for years...most of it was wiring-related: CAT3 cable, split pairs, you name it. We're pushing HD video on GB copper all over the plant, and had done OK with the inexpensive Ideal LAN tester. Corporate made us buy the Fluke DTX1800 analyzer (which is megabucks...$8-10K?) and we now certify everything with it, including store-bought patch cords (and we've found a few that failed!)

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:03 am

bogointeractive wrote:Could be. SS is freaky like that. I would let it run for a couple of days and see or if it freaks before then I would check the TCP/IP settings since it is running on Windows XP I am sure and make sure they are all setup nicely. If not there might be an issue in the PC's themselves.
Can't leave it run for a couple of days, it literally has to be rebooted everyday, sometimes however I get lucky and two different stations have to be re-booted, then the next day the other two have to be rebooted. When I re-boot a studio computer the icons go away just like it is shutting down but then it freezes on the SS32 splash screen. I would tend to believe that it is more of an individual studio computer problem than a network problem and because that studio computer is causing problems in the studio, it is causing problems on the network at the dispatch computer. I just don't know, I know the situation is one that is close to being figured out but still haven't found it.

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:07 am

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Doug Erdman wrote:Other than fixing the problems there could that be what is causing all my studio computers to freak out??
Many things can cause networking problems on a Windows network. Do you have one machine designated as the master browser and the others set so that "MaintainServerList" = False? Are there any XP Home machines on the network? Anywhere other than a small home network they may not play well with others.
No Dale these are XP Professional but there is one master unit called Dispatch that has browser capabilities but the studio computers don not have that ability. I would check that if you tell me how to do that however.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:37 pm

Doug Erdman wrote:there is one master unit called Dispatch that has browser capabilities but the studio computers don not have that ability.
The browse master has nothing to do with browsing the web (ala IE, Firefox or Safari), and everything to do with how computers find each other on a Windows network. DuckDuckGo "browse master" to learn about this network function.

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:28 pm

The browse master has nothing to do with browsing the web (ala IE, Firefox or Safari), and everything to do with how computers find each other on a Windows network. DuckDuckGo "browse master" to learn about this network function.[/quote]
Duck Duck Go is that a program I can just open up or do I download it to each individual computer or what? Like I said the only computer that has web browsing capabilities is the Dispatch computer so I am assuming even though that is the browse master you are talking about that would be the only computer to access that information about the network correct? Or am I far off base again.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:37 pm

DuckDuckGo is a search engine like Google. He's suggesting that you use your search engine of choice and search for info on Browse Master. That may lead you down the right path.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:10 pm

BroadcastDoc wrote:DuckDuckGo is a search engine like Google.
There are a number of reasons why I do not use Google. Unlike Google, DuckDuckGo does not collect information that users might consider private, and it does not skew displayed results based upon collected information. I also think that, at this time, the DuckDuckGo search engine is less likely to be manipulated to alter rankings. Also, the Google page rank algorithms tend to skew results towards older sites to the detriment of newer sites.

These are, of course, just my opinions, but they are the opinions of a man who took his first college-level computer programming class in 1967.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:27 pm

On the other hand, for clarity, you could just say "search the Internet". ;)
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:29 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:On the other hand, for clarity, you could just say "search the Internet". ;)
Ok Went to Duck Duck Go and found information on Finding and Viewing WINS Records, since I am an I T Person with a dio in the middle I guess I have to ask the stupid question of is this what I am looking for or should I be looking for something else.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:39 am

Doug Erdman wrote:is this what I am looking for or should I be looking for something else.
Your original question was about possible network problems, and I responded by asking about the browse master as I have seen problems in networks where two or more machines are trying to be the browse master, especially with a mix of Windows versions on the same network. I manually configure my networks to designate one machine (usually the least likely machine to need rebooting) as the browse master and I disable that capabillity in the rest of the machines on that network. See:

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/54/

There is a typo - the IsDomainMaster and MaintainServerList values should be Yes or True for the browse master and No or False for all other machines. Note that those two values may be found in two or more keys on each machine.

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:37 am

Dale tried registry editor, but won't know for a couple of days whether it worked or not, I did have to make some changes, and hopefully it will work.

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:15 am

Here is a thought to the General Population, Is there ever a need to replace motherboards in the SS32 computer other than disaster of course like we had with a meltdown of one of your systems?
Also for future use: Opinions on Simian automation in regards to programming, voice tracking, recording callers and operatins by On-air staff.
Opinions only no sales chat because we are not ready yet