SS32

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
Doug Erdman

SS32

Post by Doug Erdman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:47 pm

I deal with issues everyday with SS32 computers, it started where the network would lose connectivity, Traffic would try to see the aired results log and couldn't until the station computer was re-booted. When re-booting the station computer, the icons would disappear and the computer would just sit there on the SS32 splash screen doing nothing until you flip the switch and give it a cold re-boot. I called Support they claim it is not a software problem on their end, it is a Windows thing. It seems to me though that the issues didn't start until we had a power outage during a storm at the radio station. But have looked up and down trying to find answers.

Can anyone help??

Doug Erdman

radiorok

Re: SS32

Post by radiorok » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm

I have been a fan of SS32 for years

Have found sometimes the Network card goes South

Might try a new one, We use 1gig cards

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 am

you mean to disable the onboard network card and put in a different network card??

boiseengineer(old)

Post by boiseengineer(old) » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:27 pm

That would be right.
But first, try a different port on the switch/hub.
Swap out the CAT5 jumpers.
If you don't have a basic CAT-5 tester pick one up. Have found open connections that cause all sorts of havoc
especially if you're running GigiBit.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:55 am

boiseengineer wrote:If you don't have a basic CAT-5 tester pick one up.
Anyone maintaining an ethernet network needs, at a minimum, a simple tester that wil find open, shorted or reversed pairs. The typical low-end tester has two sections, one for each end of the run, with indicators on both ends. Mine is equivalent to this one at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Test-TP500-LanRoa ... B000233ZY8

I paid $40 for mine at a computer show several years ago, and it has paid for itself many times over. I use it to test every ethernet cable that I make, and have also used it for testing T1 cables. It can test anything with RJ-45 and RJ-11 connectors, but note that most modular telephone cords deliberately reverse the pairs and be aware of that when testing them. I have pigtails made up (short RJ-45 jumpers) so I can test with a jack on one or both ends of a cable. I also carry adapters to use it for continuity tests on coaxial cables.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:08 am

100% agree. I don't know how many times my CAT-5 tester has saved my bacon! It's an essential test tool, IMHO.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:03 pm

I will try the tester and see if there are any open connections or reversed. I didn't put in the system, so kind of hard to second guess someone else's work. I have tried running a different cat 5, the old down the hallway trick and hook up into one computer and see if that made a difference but did not. I have tried to reinstall network drivers but that didn't work. The bad thing is one day it is station A and Station B the next day it could be Station C or D or it might be B or C, you get the idea, there is no consistenency to say this station needs this, it is always different. Stuff like an open connection could be, but I will try and who knows it could be the trick.

Doug

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:11 pm

You mentioned power outage and different computers. It may be time to try a new switch. It's sounding more and more like that might be the issue.
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:You mentioned power outage and different computers. It may be time to try a new switch. It's sounding more and more like that might be the issue.
Tried different switches, though they were used the systems still did the same thing.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Hmmm. I hate those kinds of problems!

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:02 am

Just for Grins tried a different switch a 10/100 24 port to be exact and had to re-boot all station computers this morning, still working to nail down the problem. The system has been acting really weird since earlier this year. It's gonna get figured out but the answer is when.

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:53 am

Here is another thought and a what if.... since the Merge 32 lives in the dispatch computer and that is how traffic knows we have lost connectivity, which then sends me to the SS32 studio computers and when I re-boot those that is when I have to do a cold re-boot, could it be starting from the dispatch computer or maybe even the traffic computer causing the other machines to freeze up enough for a cold re-boot??

bogointeractive

Post by bogointeractive » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:21 am

Ewe I dont like Scott Studios. When I worked with it as an on air I could never get it to act like Nexgen which worked so nicely. Now just need something that works like both and is stable. Is your SS the Google version or the post Google version since they sold it off.

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:51 am

bogointeractive wrote:Ewe I dont like Scott Studios. When I worked with it as an on air I could never get it to act like Nexgen which worked so nicely. Now just need something that works like both and is stable. Is your SS the Google version or the post Google version since they sold it off.
It is the Dmarc Version in two locations and the old SS32 with the interstate icon at the other two.

Doug Erdman

Post by Doug Erdman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Dale H. Cook wrote:
boiseengineer wrote:If you don't have a basic CAT-5 tester pick one up.
Anyone maintaining an ethernet network needs, at a minimum, a simple tester that wil find open, shorted or reversed pairs. The typical low-end tester has two sections, one for each end of the run, with indicators on both ends. Mine is equivalent to this one at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Test-TP500-LanRoa ... B000233ZY8

I paid $40 for mine at a computer show several years ago, and it has paid for itself many times over. I use it to test every ethernet cable that I make, and have also used it for testing T1 cables. It can test anything with RJ-45 and RJ-11 connectors, but note that most modular telephone cords deliberately reverse the pairs and be aware of that when testing them. I have pigtails made up (short RJ-45 jumpers) so I can test with a jack on one or both ends of a cable. I also carry adapters to use it for continuity tests on coaxial cables.
Ok got my Lan Tester in and started using it, found a short in production 1 and a miswire in studio 1 computer. Other than fixing the problems there could that be what is causing all my studio computers to freak out??