Windows 7 & locking in screen resolutions?

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
w9wi

Windows 7 & locking in screen resolutions?

Post by w9wi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:43 am

Judging from what I've read on support.microsoft.com this is not fixable, but thought I'd run it past you guys before concluding we need a different approach...

We have a PC running Windows 7 on an "update desk" in the newsroom. We want to be able to put it on TV. We're a 1080i plant.

The PC has a DVI port (which is feeding a standard computer monitor) and a DisplayPort port.

We bought a Blackmagic HDMI-to-SDI adaptor and a DisplayPort=>HDMI adaptor.

The problem we're having, is that the display settings won't stay set. With the Blackmagic box connected, Windows has decided the DisplayPort port should be 1366x768; it won't let us select anything higher -- indeed, the only TV modes it will let us select (even under Show All Modes) are 480i.

I can connect the HDMI port to a standard TV, and Windows will select 1920x1080 by default. (which is exactly what I want) But as soon as I disconnect it from the TV, Windows switches the primary display to the HDMI. (that no longer has a monitor on it, ??!!) I'm assuming it's switching to 1366x768 at the same time -- of course, I can't tell, because 768i (or is it 768p?) is not a valid TV resolution & the BlackMagic won't deal with it. When I hook the HDMI back to the TV, the primary display switches back to the computer monitor (not the TV that I just connected.....) and the resolution on both displays is set to 1366x768.

I was able to get the primary display to stay put by hooking up the TV; letting it switch to 1920x1080; telling Windows to "disconnect this display". I can then disconnect the TV & hook it to the BlackMagic & tell Windows to extend my desktop to "this display". Now, the computer monitor still works, but the BlackMagic doesn't see anything.

I have a funny feeling we're going to have to dig up a Plan B.

FWIW, 1366x768 seems to be the preferred resolution of the standard computer monitor. (Samsung SyncMaster E1920)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

RGORJANCE

Re: Windows 7 & locking in screen resolutions?

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Warning-a sarcastic comment follows:

Switch to Ubuntu Linux and throw Windows under the bus. (actually, it might be worth trying with a spare computer to test things out)

Sorry I can't offer anything useful, but I dislike Windows.

Fossil

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:44 pm

This is not a Windows problem (despite Bob's dislike of Windows)...it is a HDMI problem and Windows is doing what it is told to do by the Blackmagic adapter's ID string. You'll need to look at the display driver options to see if there is any way to override it. What brand/model is the display adapter in the computer?

If it makes you feel any better, Macs have the same problem.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:19 pm

Fossil's solution is VERY popular on the microsoft.com support forums. It would be very tempting, except I have to run VizRT on this system.....

Display adapter is a Intel Q45/Q43 Express w/WDDM1.1.

There really aren't any options in the display driver setup. (except to uninstall it, which is quite tempting at this point :( )
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:29 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:(actually, it might be worth trying with a spare computer to test things out)

Sorry I can't offer anything useful, but I dislike Windows.
Actually, you did offer something useful... I throw this Dell 960 under the bus & hook everything up to the HP Z200 next to it -- and it works perfectly.

Why there are three Dells & one HP up here I have no idea. I think this problem has just converted from a technical one to an administrative one... which is (unusually) a lot easier to solve this week...

Uncooperative driver for cheap video card. Not fun.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:41 pm

w9wi wrote:Uncooperative driver for cheap video card. Not fun.
That's where I was headed with my query above. Glad to hear you figured it out.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 am

w9wi wrote:Why there are three Dells & one HP up here I have no idea.
We had that in the SD control room at WKOW... Everything was Dell...except the graphics / effects machines. The Deko, Lightning & eXtreme DVE were (I believe) whiteboxes from Pinnacle (yes, they were that old) and the Photoshop machine was, for some unknown reason, a Compaq....no, not a HPCompaq, a Compaq Compaq. (It had a BLAZING 1GHz processer and 512MB of RAM in it! Yes, for Photoshop.)
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV