Novell server- replace with Windows?

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
ChuckG

Novell server- replace with Windows?

Post by ChuckG » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:16 am

One of my stations still uses Wire Ready for news gathering. It's long retired from on-air use, but they love the ability to record while playing a second and third cut back on the same screen for news gathering.
This is the Dos version, running on two windows 98 terminals (two studios) from a Novell server.
No wire ready software is resident on the terminals, just a shortcut to the shared Novell drives where everything lives.

The server hardware is showing signs of age (!) and I believe the point of no return isn't far off....but I haven't worked with Novell since retiring some ancient Media Touch systems over a decade ago. Thus I'm hesitant to dive in and change things when I've largely forgotten how they work, lol. Nor are the install disks anywhere to be found if it came to that.

So- being Novell-stupid, I'm thinking a standard Windows server might work as a replacement? It would certainly be easier for me to maintain.
Assuming I can duplicate the shares on a Windows machine and copy all the data, what other issues might I run into?

Any other suggestions on how to replace the server hardware with minimal drama?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

countrykev

Re: Novell server- replace with Windows?

Post by countrykev » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:11 pm

So, are you replacing only the server and leaving the workstations? Or are you replacing everything?
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:11 pm

The only thing I can think of is that some software written for Novell networking need "qualified" UNC paths. You can typically get around that with modifying the hosts file on each machine.

Are you able to load a copy of WireReady out on a Windows server for testing?
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:07 am

countrykev wrote:So, are you replacing only the server and leaving the workstations? Or are you replacing everything?
Just the server. The workstations aren't in bad shape & I have plenty of working spares. They're a bit tougher to upgrade to modern hardware as they need ISA slots for the audio cards.
BroadcastDoc wrote:Are you able to load a copy of WireReady out on a Windows server for testing?
I have a new Windows server burning in right now for another project, but that's a good idea- I may try to load it up temporarily after the holidays. Probably the only real way to answer my questions is to just try it.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

AltheEngineer

Post by AltheEngineer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:50 pm

I didn't know you didn't like Novell Chuck,
But seriously the only reason we still used it was the link between Wood and Portage County and when we changed from Cart Ready the new system was on Windows server. I think even the BSI was on Novell so the big problem is the DOS style network. Using workgroups and mapped drives should work well with either server as long as there is a drive letter. Hey I think I still have a sound blaster you can have.
Al Johnson

grich

Post by grich » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:08 pm

I have replaced a Novell 5.1 server with a Synology NAS. Copied everything over to the NAS and mapped drives on the Windows machines to look just like they did on the Novell. Wireready doesn't seem to mind at all.

One of these days I need to convert another system. Trying to schedule the downtime necessary is not easy.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:53 pm

I heart my Synology NAS. 6 TB, no waiting. 8)
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Just as a follow-up, the Novell server finally died this week. Power failure at the station, when the UPS shut down so did the server. Never to spin up again.
Date on the SCSI drives? 1995. 20 years continuous service. :lol:
Good opportunity for a long- needed upgrade. Will have a new Wire Ready news gathering setup on the way next week.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Re:20 years continuous service.

Post by RGORJANCE » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:02 am

Wow! Chuck, that's durn near as old as you are!

Fossil

ChuckG

Re: Re:20 years continuous service.

Post by ChuckG » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:38 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:Wow! Chuck, that's durn near as old as you are!

Fossil

Heh. I have shorts older than that. :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin