ghosting software

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
Doug Erdman

ghosting software

Post by Doug Erdman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 am

I need to ghost a harddrive with Windows 2000, yes I know that sounds crazy but I need to do this, does anybody have a program or know of a program where I ghost that hard drive

Doug Erdman

RGORJANCE

Re: ghosting software

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:15 pm

On a whim, I googled ghosting software and found that Norton has a free one, I think it said 7.5, and it listed W2K.

Get some other opinions as I don't know crap about computers. I barely tolerate them. Even solitare is a challenge.

Good luck,Doug.

Fossil

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:17 am

Are you intending to replace a drive, putting it back in the same machine, or to copy an existing drive for use in a new machine?
If you are putting it back in the same machine, there are all sorts of choices. Western Digital and Seagate both have free drive-tool type software on their websites to clone drives. One of the drives involved needs to be of the brand matching the software. I use the WD version a lot, largely because i tend to use WD drives, it works very well.

If you are cloning a drive to install in a new machine.... It's often an exercise in frustration unless you really luck out and have very similar hardware, especially with 2000 and earlier. This really works best if you do a clean OS install and just move the data.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am

I'm fond of Clonezilla, myself, as noted in a posting somewhere else on the board. Win2K is old enough that I don't think you'll have to worry about SIDs or anything gnarly like that.

If you're just replacing a dying HDD, you should be fine.

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Baylink wrote:I'm fond of Clonezilla, myself, as noted in a posting somewhere else on the board.
Agreed. Even better is that Clonezilla does not care a whole lot about the format of the drive, what OS is on it, etc. It just copies, bit by bit (literally). Download the ISO, burn the CD, boot and away you go. Alternatively, you can follow the directions on the net for making a bootable USB key (if the system BIOS supports USB boot).
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Well, to be clear, CZ *will* do that (bit-by-bit), but it does make use of customized tools to handle partition layouts and filesystem ties, if they exist -- it will for example handle Linux ext3 filesystems specially (though not ext4, damnit), and also NTFS.

countrykev

Post by countrykev » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Yep. Go with Clonezilla. Get the Clonezilla Live and burn it to a CD (or if you're savvy enough, a thumb drive). It's a piece of cake to clone a drive.
What the heck am I supposed to write here?