DD-WRT on a WNDR3700v2

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
Deep Thought

DD-WRT on a WNDR3700v2

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Comcast has allegedly upgraded my Internet connection to 50/6. Currently running a Netgear WNDR3700v2 with stock firmware and it is keeping up well enough but not quite getting to 50. I cajoled them into replacing the DOCSIS 2 Thomson DHG536 they gouge me $7 for every month with a DOCSIS 3 box, and it occurs to me that I may want to take a peek at doing something with the router too. I have no real issues with the Netgear firmware except that it's your basic consumer interface and I KNOW there is a lot more this thing can do having read the threads about it on the DD-WRT forums.

So the question is, any reason NOT to go ahead and load DD-WRT on this thing? It appears to be stupid simple, but the prospect of cutting the wife off of the Internet for any length of time while I undo bad things is daunting. 8)

As a side note, I dropped the DSL backup at home and no longer have need for my Netgear FVS336G ProSafe Dual WAN router. It's run flawlessly since October 2011. If you are interested in it let me know and I'll make you a good deal. It goes on eBay at the end of the month.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: DD-WRT on a WNDR3700v2

Post by BroadcastDoc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:47 pm

I've used both DD-WRT and Tomato. They're both great - with the standard caveats. Make sure you read any docs that come with it, for example certain flavors of Tomato flash with DHCP off, so if you don't assign an IP to your device you'll be wondering why you can't get in.

At any rate, I've never had a problem flashing the firmware. I've never been down more than 15 minutes or so reconfiguring.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

countrykev

Post by countrykev » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:05 pm

I heart DD-WRT. Provided the hardware is compatible, I would go for it.
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks. This particular router seems to be a favorite over there and there is extensive documentation for it. I'm not much for fiddling with a "production" setup but this looks to be a fairly painless change. The hardest is doing the three 30-second resets to clear out everything.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:48 am

Well, my personal opinion of DD is that for something whose raison d'etre was to *make the UI of the Linksys firmware simpler*, they sure don't understand 'simpler'.

That said, it's always *worked* just fine for me, as long as you memorize where the knobs you need live in the UI.

K9EZ
Site Admin

Post by K9EZ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:07 am

Ran DD WRT for over 4 years, never down (other then power of course). +1 here!
Kent Winrich
Owner, Consultant, Floor Sweeper and Official Thread Hijacker
Broadcast and Technology Blog http://sceotech.com/blog/
Raleigh, NC