newbie question about auto-start interfacing

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
molecular

newbie question about auto-start interfacing

Post by molecular » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:06 am

Hi everyone.

I'm new to setting up broadcast studio spaces (I'm a recording engineer, no real broadcast experience).

I'm starting a small online radio project and have been offered the use of a soundcraft rm105 (a few years old) analogue desk. The stereo channel remote control "START" commands have always been set up with CD players.

What I want to know is - what do I need to do to get those commands to trigger tracks from a software music library (on a mac laptop, ideally). I'm hoping and guessing that there are some cheap interfaces that will bring the commands in via USB or MIDI or something, provided I have appropriate software, but I don't know where to start looking. Getting two separate stereo audio outs from the computer back to the desk not a problem, I have various audio interface options.

Any cheap/entry level hardware/software suggestions would be fantastic - thanks for your help!

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: newbie question about auto-start interfacing

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:05 pm

I've been using these with good luck:

http://sensoriumembedded.com/productpag ... /index.htm
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

molecular

Re: newbie question about auto-start interfacing

Post by molecular » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks!

That looks pretty much exactly what I was looking for - the tried and tested route to megaseg via usboverdrive looks good as well.

I'll try and report back, but thanks for the help.