Solid state drives

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
ChuckG

Solid state drives

Post by ChuckG » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 pm

Anyone running SSD's in their automation or production computers?
I need to replace several XP production machines and am still "iffy" on the long-term reliability of SSD's in that environment.
My plan is to use the SSD as the boot/application drive with data storage on a traditional 1TB hard drive If I decide to go that way.
Looking for other's experiences with SSD's , or helpful hints. Thanks!
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Re: Solid state drives

Post by BroadcastDoc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Our new automation machines use an SSD for the OS, and traditional drives for the audio.

Newer SSD drives are much more reliable than the older ones. The key is to make sure anything that would be write intensive, such as paging or scratch files should to do a traditional drive.

You'll probably get longer life from an SSD than you will a mechanical drive these days.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 pm

What brand of system, Doc?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:19 am

It pays to do your research before you buy. I replaced a hard drive in a 360 Systems Instant Replay box to find out recently the solid state drive, a Samsung 840 EVO, had a firmware issue that would make the drive slow down when the data aged more than 30 days. Samsung recently released the Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software on their site which is said to resolve this situation.

Other than that, I've had excellent luck using SSDs in automation and with other computer and broadcast tasks. I also installed a SSD in a 360 Shortcut with no ill effects as well.

The thing to keep in mind is that different drives utilize different NAND technology and as Doc mentioned earlier, the newer drives perform much better than earlier generations. As an experiment I installed an SSD into a Tivo video recorder. As anybody who owns one knows, it's constantly buffering at least a half-hour of video so data is always being written to the drive. It's been about a year and no failure from the drive so far. It it can pass this test I think it proves the technology has improved significantly.

BTW: For those of you who might need the Samsung firmware update scroll down to the Performance Restoration Software on this page: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... loads.html
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:42 pm

BroadcastDoc wrote: You'll probably get longer life from an SSD than you will a mechanical drive these days.
Yeah, I keep telling myself that. :lol: It's probably true but I'm suffering from a bad case of always-done-it-this-way-itis. I built the machines coming out of service 5-7 years ago and had zero failures with the WD Raptor drives, so the temptation is to...well you know.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Shane wrote:What brand of system, Doc?
Wide Orbit. We put a bunch of 'em in.
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:53 pm

ChuckG wrote:
BroadcastDoc wrote: You'll probably get longer life from an SSD than you will a mechanical drive these days.
Yeah, I keep telling myself that. :lol: It's probably true but I'm suffering from a bad case of always-done-it-this-way-itis. I built the machines coming out of service 5-7 years ago and had zero failures with the WD Raptor drives, so the temptation is to...well you know.
Honestly, unless you have issues with mechanical drives, there probably isn't a real compelling reason to use SSD. Yes, OS operations are MUCH faster, but really the bottleneck with automation systems are either network bandwidth or data transfer speeds for audio playback. Neither of those are helped by running an SSD.

davek

Post by davek » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:
ChuckG wrote:
Honestly, unless you have issues with mechanical drives, there probably isn't a real compelling reason to use SSD. Yes, OS operations are MUCH faster, but really the bottleneck with automation systems are either network bandwidth or data transfer speeds for audio playback. Neither of those are helped by running an SSD.
If used in a studio they generate less noise and heat, so there may be some benefit

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:50 pm

One other tip.

I have been told that the controllers on current-generation SSDs will take advantage of unpartitioned space on the drive to reduce rewrites and increase lifetime, so when you're partitioning, don't let your operating system do the job: do it yourself and leave 10 or 20 extra gig free.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:01 am

I used the Samsung cloning utility that came with mine to format the drive and move the OS to it, and it automagically provisioned about 10% of the drive used to remap bad "sectors". It means my 500 GB 840 EVO's usable space is in the 460 GB range but I knew that going in...plus it replaced a 320 GB hard drive. The utility also managed to move everything without screwing up Windows 7 or any of the programs that are usually very fussy about being moved, so that was a big win.

This has been in my laptop for about 10 months now and it is probably the best $300 I ever spent on computer guts. The drive is now around $240 on Amazon.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:23 am

When we converted our (TV) live trucks to HD, we installed desktop PCs with SSDs for the OS & applications. (the media is on Panasonic P2 cards -- which are also basically SSDs)

They've been reliable. And the boot time has improved considerably. That, and we don't worry about the mechanical implications of a hard drive carried around in a moving vehicle with a less-than-smooth suspension.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66