Scheduled Downloading of files?

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
lewiscallaway

Scheduled Downloading of files?

Post by lewiscallaway » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:12 pm

I'm trying to figure out a piece of software that would download our weather forecast audio file off of the internet automatically.

The format of it is like:

http://website.com/audiofile.mp3

The file name never changes - the station just overwrites it.

I would need it to download, overwrite the current file, and save to the hard drive. All while running completely unattended at scheduled points in the day.

Am I dreaming or is there software for this?

Thanks!

TPT

Re: Scheduled Downloading of files?

Post by TPT » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:58 pm

We use Radio Spider to grab files from FTP sites. It is fussy, though, on the style of the file.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Sounds like something that would be perfect for a cron job in Linux or a scheduled task in Windows.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

davek

Post by davek » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:43 am

Deep Thought wrote:Sounds like something that would be perfect for a cron job in Linux or a scheduled task in Windows.
Exactly. Write a batch file that uses 'wget' to download the file, then call that batch file from a scheduled task in Windows. If using Linux, replace batch file with shell script, and scheduled task with cron job.

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:37 pm

WinSCP for Windows has very nice scripting capabiliites. We use it at my 'day job' to automate some data transfers (via task scheduler) for both FTP and SFTP protocols. The WinSCP website has a pretty decent tutorial (at least, it was good enough for me). The TL;DR version is that you create a file containing the commands you wish to send, then in your scheduled task, call the scp.com program with switches and a reference to your file with the scripted commands. Like Effen' Magic (FM) it does the rest!
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org

lewiscallaway

Post by lewiscallaway » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:44 am

Thanks! I'll look into these!

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:01 pm

davek wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:Sounds like something that would be perfect for a cron job in Linux or a scheduled task in Windows.
Exactly. Write a batch file that uses 'wget' to download the file, then call that batch file from a scheduled task in Windows. If using Linux, replace batch file with shell script, and scheduled task with cron job.
That's exactly how I grab hourly weather and several other daily programs. A simple batch file that calls the command-line FTP client, downloads the file, runs Lame encoder to decompress to WAV and check the sample rate, then copies to the on-air machines. Task Scheduler runs the batch files at selected times.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:58 pm

I evaluated three programs last year for this.
We bought Radio Spider and have been very happy with it.
It is only a few hundred dollars and well worth it for us.
I think software is usually not a good place to cut corners if possible (especially since I'm not an IT expert).

Ray

TPT

Post by TPT » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:00 pm

We've been using Radio Spider for a while now on our commercial stations. We help out a high school station (900 watts) and recently took over the management of a college station when they closed out their media department.

Both stations have a number of programs that come from FTP sites--but unfortunately, none of them use a file format that we can use with Radio Spider.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:31 am

One of my client stations uses stringers in various nearby communities, who provide periodic news updates. They just load their files into a Dropbox folder, which the local station plays from its end without any further intervention. Very simple, if you can get the file inserted from the remote side.