Locked up browsers

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
Shane

Locked up browsers

Post by Shane » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:12 am

Is it just me? More and more both at home and at work I have web pages lock up the browser. They'll just stop functioning, the little wheel in the tab is spinning and I get a dialog box (at least in IE11) with a button to recover the page because something is wrong with the page, which will often clear itself if you just X out of the box. If you hit recover page you basically start loading it all over again so you are still ... how to say this ... how about put in a compromising position with your hind end in the air.

It happens on my iPhone too. So it doesn't seem to be platform nor device specific. And we're talking about three or four different network environments (home over Wifi, anywhere over LTE, work over Ethernet, and work over guest wi-fi). If anything LTE causes the least problems and the Reader View on the version of Safari employed on the iPhone is way better than the full desktop version for wasting less of your time waiting for it to come up. IF all you need to do is read and not see pictures.

There are sites that are trying to start so many videos and the new awful form of popup, which isn't really a popup but an animation thrust into your field of view after you've already started reading, that it makes me wonder if their moms didn't teach them it's not polite to interrupt!

Some of my company's sites (cough cough Townhall.com cough hack) are the worst offenders, BTW. Somehow I don't think a voice crying from the Nebraska wilderness will make any difference.

I have started experimenting with a new browser called Brave, written by the former Mozilla chief, Brandon Eich. It's still in its infancy but I have some problems with it, too. It takes forever to start to the point you have time to get coffee, visit the little boys' room, and have a conversation with a colleague in the hallway before it's ready! It's also not very polished looking, but once it gets going it seems kinda fast. It's supposed to block ads which will make it unpopular with THOSE people. I don't see that it blocks all ads. But it's annoying enough that I don't use it much. Chrome and Firefox help on some sites. I do like a polished look and only IE gives me that.

What say you? Is it because I'm using virus-infested computers? Can an iPhone contract a virus?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

w9wi

Re: Locked up browsers

Post by w9wi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:32 am

Yep, a pet peeve.

Modern browsers offer tabbed browsing. I pull up a TV website (including our own...) and see a list of news stories. I right click on the ones I want to see & select "Open in new tab". Five or six of them. None are in the category clearly marked "Video", none have the little camera icon that indicates they're videos. Browser locks up. Turns out two or three of the links had video anyway and the rest try to play video *ads* even if the content is text.

Sites that load the content just long enough to keep your attention, then cover it with a full-screen ad or a plea to subscribe. The X is never in the same place twice. (I encountered one on a tech site yesterday that *didn't have an X*. You saw the content for one second, then it was hidden unless you gave them your email address. Not gonna happen.) Many media sites now flash the content for a second then cover it with "Click for your coupons". At least I know which advertiser believes in annoying their customers.

UNSOLICITED AUDIO. I ***HATE*** IT. Trying to listen to radio online. (usually it's an actual station but outside their RF coverage) Suddenly it's buried in an ad or news story playing off some other tab that gave no indication it was going to play video.

I've installed a Chrome extension that blocks Flash content unless I explicitly give permission. It helps a lot, but I haven't found a plugin to block HTML5 yet.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 am

When something seems locked up here, I glance over at my router to see if there's any network activity, and there never is. It seems that if an application requests data over the network, it is then suspended until that data is returned, hence the application appears to hang. It has to do with the way Windoze manages tasks: event-driven. No event, nothing happens.

I'm still running WinXP with IE8. I've had a flash blocker for ages. I also never connected speakers to the computer because I didn't want some surprise sound bit to come across while I'm trying to read something. As soon as one of those pop-up naggers shows up on the screen, I just "X" off the entire session and start over.

Last month ComCrap.net replaced their web page and mail interface. They popped up a screen as an intro to a video that explained all the new features. You were then given two choices: "Learn More" or "Watch Video". There was no "X", no "Remind Me Later", or other way to bypass this and just get on with life. That really irked me. I had to click either of the two options then immediately "X" off the entire session and start again. After three such attempts I gave up and sent them a nasty suggestion. I didn't go back onto their web page for two weeks, and by then they had gotten rid of the bothersome popup.

Bob M.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 am

I use AdFender. It helps a lot on my older (2 core processor) pc's. Helps really well on a 4 core laptop running Win 7 64bit. A 2core without ad blocker won't run 50% of commercial web pages anymore due to the ads and 'long running scripts'. Tech sites like windows and java seem to run OK for the most part. I don't surf with my phone, it's a company blackberry anyway.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

nfr

Post by nfr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:38 pm

I have not had a locked up browser in a while, was this summer sometime. Currently use Chrome and Firefox but have no browser bars, flash, or java installed. In Chrome under chrome://plugins/ Widevine, Flash, and Native Client is disabled. Most browser crashes are due to Flash or Javascript errors. Since there is no Flash enabled this may be what is preventing me from having many problems. I also have uBlock origin installed in both to stop any content problems.

Dude111

Post by Dude111 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 am

If you keep javascript DISABLED you wont see 1/2 that stuff....

Im on IE6 (MyIE2 (IE wrapper)) and I 99% have them disabled as its faster and safer....

ITS NOT GOOD OUT HERE!! -- Taking pre-cautions is wise!!

nfr

Post by nfr » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:42 pm

Apparently Google monitors all my posts, Chrome version 56 disabled the chrome://plugins settings. You no longer can disable or enable plugins in this area. You now need to use chrome://flags to disable Flash. To disable Flash chrome://flags/#prefer-html-over-flash set to Enabled. This disables the click to run from delaying HTML5 content but will not completely disable Flash. I have not found a way to disable Flash or Native Client as of yet. So in the mean time expect a lot of popup windows from malware companies stating your computer is infected in Chrome.

Dude111

Post by Dude111 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Ya CHROME is the worst browser as far as privacy goes........ (It reports everything to google and who knows who else!!) if you have a different browser,I would highly recommend it! (Uninstall Chrome and then clean your reg of the crap left behind)