Automation Poll

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.

What type of automation do you use?

Google (Scott Studios, Maestro)
17%
AudioVault
17%
Prophet
13%
BSI Simian/Wavestation
12%
RCS Master Control
1%
Ots/AV (Thanks, ajstriker!)
2%
Enco
6%
DigiLink
2%
iMediaTouch
4%
Station Playlist Creator/Studio (Thanks, Don!)
12%
Rivendell
7%
SAM
7%

Total votes: 84

RGORJANCE

Re: Automation Poll-78 TRAY GO CRATES

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:25 am

Chuck:

Go to From The Trenches, then to War Stories, then to posting Jan 13, 2009---------you might want to start with RF Warriers salivating teaser about me first, to sort of get a background. Then to my response.

Might be enough to generate a laugh, or two.

Fossil

ChuckG

Re: Automation Poll-78 TRAY GO CRATES

Post by ChuckG » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:14 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:Chuck:

Go to From The Trenches, then to War Stories, then to posting Jan 13, 2009---------you might want to start with RF Warriers salivating teaser about me first, to sort of get a background. Then to my response.

Might be enough to generate a laugh, or two.

Fossil
I found it.

You know, that plastic "high voltage" shield was on there right until the end. I bought some of the last go-carts from IGM. (got a good deal from Carl) Now I know why it's there! :lol: :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Re: Automation Poll

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:06 pm

I wonder how many remember the ATC stacked 55? This was a full 78 inch rack that held 55 carts, had a 1/2 inch thick aluminum cart deck that indexed up and down driven by two 3/4 inch lead screws hooked to a 1/4 horse motor.

These babys could index to the next lower shelf, shear the cart that just played, kick out all the busted parts, inject a new cart and play it without even a hint of effort.

I heard that actually happened at an NAB and the potential customer theyt were demonstrating it to was so impressed by how rugged it was---ordered two on the spot.

The Carousel was a 24 tray device that would only turn in one direction. It was able to be random accessed. The 24, 48 and 78 tray Go Carts could be rapidly randomly accessed and would rotate in the direction closest to the selected cart.

Fossil

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:46 pm

I believe the wall looked like this.

More transports, though.

http://www.softneasy.com/WFMPauto.jpg

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm

That looks like a Harris SC-90 Automation. It had a screaming fast Intel u-proc model 8008 that ran around 5 mHz. State of the art, dontcha know? They later switched to an 8080, which was just a bit quicker.

Fossil

Baylink

Post by Baylink » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Well, it's not familiar, but this photo claims to be WROR in 1976

That's a DEC PDP-something.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/ralphs ... 181525696/

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:59 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:I wonder how many remember the ATC stacked 55? This was a full 78 inch rack that held 55 carts, had a 1/2 inch thick aluminum cart deck that indexed up and down driven by two 3/4 inch lead screws hooked to a 1/4 horse motor.

These babys could index to the next lower shelf, shear the cart that just played, kick out all the busted parts, inject a new cart and play it without even a hint of effort.

I heard that actually happened at an NAB and the potential customer theyt were demonstrating it to was so impressed by how rugged it was---ordered two on the spot.

The Carousel was a 24 tray device that would only turn in one direction. It was able to be random accessed. The 24, 48 and 78 tray Go Carts could be rapidly randomly accessed and would rotate in the direction closest to the selected cart.

Fossil
I remember the 55's. We had the Gates version in 'Rapids, but it was ATC underneath the namplate. It was installed along with 4 Scully decks running Bonneville tapes and a pair of ATC time-announce cart decks running the oversized carts. The whole thing was shown off behind a big glass window for the public to see. Quite the thing in it's day. This was when I was a teenager, but remember it from tagging along with my Dad to work.
I forget the automation controller that drove it, but it used thumbwheels for programming and logged using adding machine tape. Perhaps you'll remember what that was, Bob? It was probably sold by Gates, most everything in that building back then was from Quincy. Serial #000 Gates Dualux II console. That console replaced a Collins 212-G, serial #001.
The 55 was replaced with a pair of Instacarts, the controller with an IGM "ram" system, the Scully's got moved to the AM and ran until the now-retired Audiovault went in.

Ran with three used Carousels when WMZK went on the air, Steve Brown over in Appleton has them in his basement now. Never so happy to see a piece of equipment retired, lol. They could also shear a cart in half it it didn't index fully out before rotating. If you were dumb enough to try to grab the cart by hand while it was ejecting you learned fast to never do it again. The go-carts would just break the plastic cart tray instead.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Re: Automation

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 am

The thumb wheel Programmer was the SC-48. A few years later they came out with the RA-10, which allowed random selection of the Carousels.

I remember the Automation behind the glass at Rapids. That's where I first met your dad. Then a short time after that I met his buddy Jack from Manitowoc. Then I ran into the two of them at a WBA shindig. That was really a hilarious pair.

Bob

playmixradio

Post by playmixradio » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:42 pm

i use dalet

AnabolicHippo

Post by AnabolicHippo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:24 pm

I have only ever used WinMedia, not sure if anyone else has any experience with this; would love to hear someone's thoughts.

ScottColombe

Post by ScottColombe » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:24 pm

We're currently using AirForce at a small 3 station cluster here in central MN. Not bad but has begun locking up occasionally.

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:55 pm

We've found with Simian that we have to de-frag routinely (one a month or so) or we begin to have problems. May be what you are seeing, too.