Automation Poll

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.

What type of automation do you use?

Google (Scott Studios, Maestro)
17%
AudioVault
17%
Prophet
13%
BSI Simian/Wavestation
12%
RCS Master Control
1%
Ots/AV (Thanks, ajstriker!)
2%
Enco
6%
DigiLink
2%
iMediaTouch
4%
Station Playlist Creator/Studio (Thanks, Don!)
12%
Rivendell
7%
SAM
7%

Total votes: 84

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:27 am

tmay wrote:I know alot of LPFM's are using Raduga or Zara Radio for their primary automation. We use Raduga just for our newscast playout. Our regular automation is AudioVault.
I think Marquette Radio is using Raduga now.

I had to deal with CartWorks while I was there. I sure hope they let the Marquette Radio people go "Office Space" on the boxes when they were retired. About the only good piece of hardware in them were the audio cards.

Seriously, DTG Xe had better documentation than CartWorks, and Xe came with NONE! (Not joking, no documentation came with Xe when my station initially got it.) Gah! I spent WAY too much of the summer between Sophomore and Junior year trying to figure out how to get CartWorks to run music by itself from a playlist so that we could have automated music when there was no DJ in the booth.

/vent

-A
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

RadioTom

Another vote for

Post by RadioTom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:36 pm

Station Playlist.

Properly set up rivals or exceeds even the best top-end systems.

Tom

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:37 am

I've worked with SAM2, the old prophet and BSI simian. I guess every system has its quirks.

Selector is the bane of my existence.

Drew

Post by Drew » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:26 pm

My current station uses the BSI Simian. I have to admit for the price, it does the job dependably, especially satellite automation. It's kinda clunky for live assist. On the bright side it doesn't require any special production interface.

Everywhere else I have been has been Scott Studios. Well, primarily because I spent four years working for them and at the time it was all I knew.

tmay

Post by tmay » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:12 am

rockmanac wrote: I think Marquette Radio is using Raduga now.
I recommended it to them awhile back. Hopefully they like it.

I remember cartworks! I also had to deal with SAW for awhile, not SAW+32, but SAW the 16 bit edition. And we produced radio with that stuff?!?

Lox

Post by Lox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 pm

We use SMARTS Broadcast Systems, seems to work fairly well.

level42

Re: Automation Poll

Post by level42 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:25 pm

The majority of my satellite fed stations are using RDS Phantom or Smartcaster. Have a few LPFM's using Raduga, 1 station with Maestro, 1 with MediaTouch, and 6 with Nexgen.

Is anyone familiar with Wings? It's an older DOS system...one particular group I work for uses it. Never seen it anywhere else.
Last edited by Tim Burke on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed pre-existing signature

countrykev

Post by countrykev » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:29 pm

I guess I didn't notice this thread until Chris posted...

My thoughts:

Google Scott Studios has outstanding tech support, I am on a first name basis with two techs one of which installed our system. Love the overall SS32 interface and configuration menus. Very straightforward. However, TOO MANY PROBLEMS with version 6. Version 5 is rock solid, but version 6 is an inbetween for 5 and the new version 7...so it incorporates some of the old and some of the new features, which the inbetweens seem to be the cause of most of the problems. Grrrr...

Audio Vault: Frustrating tech support. I have to wait hours, and in one case a day before someone calls me back. In an era where GUI's are common, why am I still editing an .ini file to make stuff work? Gets aggrivating when something doesn't work right because I forgot a comma... I do like AVRPS and AVNET, and some of AVAIR.

Prophet: We use it at the student station on campus. I've heard a lot of good things about it, but never used it personally.

StationPlaylist: Best bang for the buck. We actually used it for a month after launching a new station last year. Wish we could have used Selector with it, but they said that's supposed to be coming this year.
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

Shane

Post by Shane » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:47 pm

Any comments about Enco?

I thought being on first-name basis with tech support was a BAD thing! Means you have to talk to them too often. Anyway, I can come up with about five first names at Enco, so I've got you beat. :twisted:
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:14 pm

I know some guys who swear by Enco. I had an old (DOS) version of Enco that I just hated. The thing wouldn't stay running! Of course, part of the problem is that it ran on Novell 3.12.

It was a beautiful day when I flipped the switch on AudioVault at that station!
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:59 pm

For years, WKNE-FM/AM in Keene NH used a system called "Cart Ready"

After listening to many hours of the station, I can only think of one occasion where the station ever had dead air overnights.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

leaderofthefreeworld

Post by leaderofthefreeworld » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:56 am

NECRAT wrote:For years, WKNE-FM/AM in Keene NH used a system called "Cart Ready"

After listening to many hours of the station, I can only think of one occasion where the station ever had dead air overnights.
The old DOS Cartready/ControlReady was the first "automation" system I used. It was a great little program and was as rock solid as the computer running it. The only problem is it was limited in what it could handle in terms of music on hard drive, but for satellite automation I would put it right behind Audiovault for features and reliability.

Drew

Post by Drew » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:00 am

My first experience with a "Computer Automation" system was the Format Sentry by BE circa 1993. It used twenty 6 pack Pioneer CD players for a maximum of 120 discs (4 CD Interface modules could control up to 8 players, so one could use up to 32 players!). It had a tiny-by today's standards- hard drive for local audio, spots, voice tracks, network records etc. We used only mono audio so we could get up to 22 hours in it. Beware if you were doing local production and a timed network record came along! You got kicked out for the duration of the netrecord. The midday Paul Harvey meant you got a 15 minute break.

Broadcast Programming supplied weekly music logs (mailed a week before on floppy) with TM/Century providing the CD's. The trick was someone had to replace a few of the discs each week and it had to be done late on Sunday before the new logs took effect on Monday. Log transfer was strictly "sneaker-net". New logs were loaded onto a floppy which stayed in the drive of the "Control" computer.

It was, for it's time, quite dependable.

Tim Burke
Forum Jedi

Post by Tim Burke » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:03 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:I know some guys who swear by Enco. I had an old (DOS) version of Enco that I just hated. The thing wouldn't stay running! Of course, part of the problem is that it ran on Novell 3.12.

It was a beautiful day when I flipped the switch on AudioVault at that station!
Novell? I feel sorry for you.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:30 am

Bah...don't! ;)

Back when I was at NextMedia, the DCS system on the Joliet stations (and WERV) ran on Novell. They were somewhat high maintenance, but I manged to keep them running. In fact, from what I hear, they're still running at their new home.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum