Automation Poll

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.

What type of automation do you use?

Google (Scott Studios, Maestro)
16%
AudioVault
16%
Prophet
13%
BSI Simian/Wavestation
12%
RCS Master Control
1%
Ots/AV (Thanks, ajstriker!)
2%
Enco
6%
DigiLink
2%
iMediaTouch
4%
Station Playlist Creator/Studio (Thanks, Don!)
13%
Rivendell
7%
SAM
7%

Total votes: 85

ajstriker

Re: Automation Poll

Post by ajstriker » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:22 am

Drew wrote:My first experience with a "Computer Automation" system was the Format Sentry by BE circa 1993. It used twenty 6 pack Pioneer CD players for a maximum of 120 discs (4 CD Interface modules could control up to 8 players, so one could use up to 32 players!). It had a tiny-by today's standards- hard drive for local audio, spots, voice tracks, network records etc. We used only mono audio so we could get up to 22 hours in it. Beware if you were doing local production and a timed network record came along! You got kicked out for the duration of the netrecord. The midday Paul Harvey meant you got a 15 minute break.

Broadcast Programming supplied weekly music logs (mailed a week before on floppy) with TM/Century providing the CD's. The trick was someone had to replace a few of the discs each week and it had to be done late on Sunday before the new logs took effect on Monday. Log transfer was strictly "sneaker-net". New logs were loaded onto a floppy which stayed in the drive of the "Control" computer.

It was, for it's time, quite dependable.
Boy, that's sounds like what we had at WPVL back in the '90's...except for the "reliable" part. Every 6th song or so was what we used to call a "computer request". The song on the screen wasn't the one playing out of the decks. Usually happened when the CD players coudn't react fast enough to the controller. The hard drive recorded audio was ok, but with the CD jukeboxes you never knew what would happen. Good luck ramping a song when you wern't exactly sure what was gonna start playing. :lol:

Tim Burke
Forum Jedi

Post by Tim Burke » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:32 am

BroadcastDoc wrote:Bah...don't! ;)

Back when I was at NextMedia, the DCS system on the Joliet stations (and WERV) ran on Novell. They were somewhat high maintenance, but I manged to keep them running. In fact, from what I hear, they're still running at their new home.
They've got Nexgen now.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Yep. They got it three years ago, IIRC.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

W9PXZ

Post by W9PXZ » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:15 am

Chris is correct. Aurora went first in Nov. 04 and Joliet followed in Jan. 05. Since then, most every Next Media site has made the transition to NexGen. The north Chicago locations finished their switch last year and most of the Carolina stations have flipped as well. The oddball is going to be Saginaw, MI. They are getting a new Google system.

Michael Dinger
CE, Next Media Chicago South

Tim Burke
Forum Jedi

Post by Tim Burke » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:10 am

W9PXZ wrote:Chris is correct. Aurora went first in Nov. 04 and Joliet followed in Jan. 05. Since then, most every Next Media site has made the transition to NexGen. The north Chicago locations finished their switch last year and most of the Carolina stations have flipped as well. The oddball is going to be Saginaw, MI. They are getting a new Google system.

Michael Dinger
Is Joliet still running on Novell?

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:01 pm

W9PXZ wrote:Chris is correct. Aurora went first in Nov. 04 and Joliet followed in Jan. 05. Since then, most every Next Media site has made the transition to NexGen. The north Chicago locations finished their switch last year and most of the Carolina stations have flipped as well. The oddball is going to be Saginaw, MI. They are getting a new Google system.

Michael Dinger
IIRC, Saginaw had just gotten Digital Universe or Dalet or something like that just before NM bought them. In fact aside from WJOL's BE coming from there, we liberated their old Scott Studios stuff and took it to Kenosha for spares.
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.

countrykev

Post by countrykev » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:27 am

Will Rivendell work on Ubuntu, or just the Sose Linux?
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:14 pm

WABV doesn't use any of the programs listed above in the poll ;=)

I've used Audio vault before.. HATED it HATED it Hated IT.. their tech support was HORRIBLE and the system was clunky/fidgety. I wouldn't wish Audio Vault on my worst enemy... Well, OK.. I might wish it on [COMPANY NAME DELETED].

I've used what was SAM2 before (and i think is now SAM3) at my first station and loved it.. worked great, had way less problems with it then I did with Audio Vault.

Edit: Another station I work for (whos name was deleted above) didn't use any of the systems above, nor even the one I have here at WABV. They had a DOS based system that was a bit hard to use, but once you figure it out.. it was rock solid and easy to handle. But when It went down, forgetaboudit... it was a pain in the ash.
Last edited by Tim Burke on Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted company name

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:06 am

So how do you really feel about Audio Vault? :D

Seriously though, was the Dos based system Cart-Ready?
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:18 am

NECRAT wrote:So how do you really feel about Audio Vault? :D

Seriously though, was the Dos based system Cart-Ready?
Nope, it wasn't Cart ready ;=) Keep guessing.. lol

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:27 am

Sounds a lot like DCS.

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:28 am

Nope, wasn't DCS either..

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:44 am

*Deep Breath*

Digital DJ, System Sentry, DigiLink, AuDisk? You're going to have to spit it out at some point!!!

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:45 am

Nope none of those either.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:57 am

Alright....spill it! I don't want to get caught up in a million posts over it! :)