Simian- Podcasts

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
davedybas

Simian- Podcasts

Post by davedybas » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:52 pm

I've been asked to see if I can get our Simian Automation Software to record a "Live" show and create a file to be used on our Website as a Podcast...This is new territory for me...has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks
Dave Dybas

Sam Buca

Re: Simian- Podcasts

Post by Sam Buca » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:00 pm

Self-proclaimed simian expert here :mrgreen:

Loop the feed from the console back to simian on one of the inputs, then set the recording deck to record the input. No different than firing up adobe audition on another pc and recording show audio, except you can schedule the record deck to start/stop automatically.

Where you trying to do something specific?

davedybas

Post by davedybas » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:33 am

Sam Buca....the station is brokered foreign language...one of the programs wants their daily broadcast recorded and made available on "their" web site as a PodCast. I'm thinking I can FTP the recorded file to them...as Simian supports FTP delivery.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave Dybas :D

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:33 am

davedybas wrote:Sam Buca....the station is brokered foreign language...one of the programs wants their daily broadcast recorded and made available on "their" web site as a PodCast. I'm thinking I can FTP the recorded file to them...as Simian supports FTP delivery.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The version of Simian may restrict what you can do, but with the latest you can set up the recording deck to output MP3 format (or some other podcast friendly format), set up a scheduled event to run the RECORD macro using the variables in the file name and the duration, then schedule an event to run the FTP macro to upload the file. Totally automated.

davedybas

Post by davedybas » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:49 am

SWEET !...thanks :D

davedybas

Post by davedybas » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Sam Buca....I've got the Simian Record Macro down pat...now I need to know how to get the system to use the "date" to name the file....that is, the file I record should have a name like "KCBS120110.mp3" where 120110 represents the date for instance... Dec 1st 2010. Any Ideas?

Dave Dybas :?:

wb9fhr

Post by wb9fhr » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Dave,
I can scan the Simian Manual with the record variables list. That will give it all to you. Otherwise if you have a manual page 138 & 139. It's all there.
I have several stations on Simian.
Is the ddxxxxx@aol.com address still good?
Dave Janzer

davedybas

Post by davedybas » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:02 am

Mr. Janzer,,,glad to hear from you...I've got the manual around somewhere I'll give it a look thru...thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My E-mail is still the same one you have. Let's chat.

wb9fhr

Post by wb9fhr » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:56 am

It's on the way. Somewhere I have that manual electronic as well.
Dave

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:37 am

Simian is eeevvvill... i swear. It has done some of the strangest, oddest, weirdest things at my station for no reason whatsoever. A friend of mine who is the CE at a catholic station in South Carolina that has Simian compares notes with me about once a week and we have a game, "Lets see what Simian did this week that it hasn't done before.

I mean, for what you pay for it, Simian ain't that bad. I'll give it that. But some of the stuff it does, while not major, is just f&^%$ng annoying. Some of the major stuff that it does, while it happens infrequently, baffles the mind.

wb9fhr

Post by wb9fhr » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:53 pm

I don't know about evil, but it has its quirks your right there. Price is right, and in the right application it is really cost effective. I have had 2 public and a commercial on the system. It's made a lot of money for the commercial in the 5 years it has run. The public stations , it just played fine. Knowing & working with both features and limitations is what any automation is about. Can't say anything real bad with only $1000. invested. (OK now it's 1500) .

Dave Janzer

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:58 am

wb9fhr wrote:I don't know about evil, but it has its quirks your right there. Price is right, and in the right application it is really cost effective. I have had 2 public and a commercial on the system. It's made a lot of money for the commercial in the 5 years it has run. The public stations , it just played fine. Knowing & working with both features and limitations is what any automation is about. Can't say anything real bad with only $1000. invested. (OK now it's 1500) .

Dave Janzer
Ok, maybe it's not evil, but it's close... lol ;) It's done some strange things to me and some of my other friends who have it at their stations..... our computers are aging a bit, but nothing too bad and my friend had it start acting up when his computer was new.

Again, it's not that great.. but in the same light, for $1000 it aint too bad.. lol

Sam Buca

Post by Sam Buca » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:03 am

davedybas wrote:Sam Buca....I've got the Simian Record Macro down pat...now I need to know how to get the system to use the "date" to name the file....that is, the file I record should have a name like "KCBS120110.mp3" where 120110 represents the date for instance... Dec 1st 2010. Any Ideas?

Dave Dybas :?:
Sorry, I was on vacation all last week and came back over the weekend :D
Simian is eeevvvill... i swear. It has done some of the strangest, oddest, weirdest things at my station for no reason whatsoever. A friend of mine who is the CE at a catholic station in South Carolina that has Simian compares notes with me about once a week and we have a game, "Lets see what Simian did this week that it hasn't done before.

I mean, for what you pay for it, Simian ain't that bad. I'll give it that. But some of the stuff it does, while not major, is just f&^%$ng annoying. Some of the major stuff that it does, while it happens infrequently, baffles the mind.
I've never had any issues with it. You need to learn the quirks (like with any automation system), but it works fantastic in all of my installations.

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:15 am

Sam Buca wrote:
davedybas wrote:Sam Buca....I've got the Simian Record Macro down pat...now I need to know how to get the system to use the "date" to name the file....that is, the file I record should have a name like "KCBS120110.mp3" where 120110 represents the date for instance... Dec 1st 2010. Any Ideas?

I've never had any issues with it. You need to learn the quirks (like with any automation system), but it works fantastic in all of my installations.

I've learned it's quirks and learned some tricks with it.. but it still acts up on occassion. For what it is, again, it isn't bad.