Simian Glitches

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
davedybas

Simian Glitches

Post by davedybas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:50 pm

Does anyone have a "secret" to keeping Simian from glitching ? About once a month our simian PC will get stupid and lock up for no apparent reason. We have been re-booting it once per week but that doesn't seem to have any affect on it. Are there any "junk files" that need to be cleaned out or any other housekeeping that is needed?

Thanks in advance
Dave Dybas

themarcshow

Re: Simian Glitches

Post by themarcshow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:54 pm

We ran Simian at my college station and we used to have the 'Simian went stupid' syndrome. I remember every Friday afternoon throwing on a few CD's so we could delete the audio.mdb and reboot the machine and rebuild the database.

I have no idea if that actually did anything but it made out instructor feel better. I can only assume he got that tip from Simain support.

Also I think at one point I deleted another .mdb database which seemed to help the problem for a while. I don't remember what that was though.

Eventually a combination of hardware and software failures led them to junk the system and go with something else.
Brad Beahm
Operations Manager Platte River Radio
Hastings, Ne
kd0jct

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 am

davedybas wrote:Are there any "junk files" that need to be cleaned out or any other housekeeping that is needed?
As BSI support will tell you, you need to delete and rebuild the database from time to time.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

wb9fhr

Post by wb9fhr » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Dave you must delete that audio.mdb file regularly and let Sound Hound rebuild it. This is very important if they add and delete files on a regular basis. Do that weekly at the reboot.

Also watch any TSR's. Also have seen "production " mode sessions do strange things when run from over the network computers. Be sure that is set up correctly on any remote computer. Wrong paths there do unusual things.

Dave Janzer

Relay

Post by Relay » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:10 pm

We had a similar issue some time ago and we went into the BIOS settings and turned off multithreading and from then on the problem was gone.
Good luck..

PaulBWalkerJr

Post by PaulBWalkerJr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Where I work now, i refer to anything glitchy/stupid that Simian does as "Simian pulled a stupid".

Whenever Im in the studio and I yell/swear, the boss and our PTer usually ask, "What did simian do now?".. i dont yell at anything else like i yell at Simian.

kylefree

Post by kylefree » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:23 am

Early Smartcaster makes Simian look like heaven.
New and improved www.YourMidwestMedia.net message board. Also covering Canada, the Rockies, Southwest, South/Southeast, Texas, and New England states.

TPT

Post by TPT » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 am

Have three Simian systems on air--most of our problems come from Dial Global goofiness. Two of the systems are on satellite fed stations, one on a music station, with large hard drive & music library.

We defrag the hard drive fairly frequently, which seems to keep the systems happy