West Wood MAX retreiver

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
dgurzynski

West Wood MAX retreiver

Post by dgurzynski » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm wondering if there are any engineers out there who have been able to make the WW1 Max retriever software work properly in a shared network environment? I've been working with them about it and I'm hoping for some networking guru's out there that could give me a hand. Thanks.

countrykev

Re: West Wood MAX retreiver

Post by countrykev » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:11 pm

The WW1 Retriever brings all the downloaded spots to one folder, wherever you specify. Just setup a Windows share for that folder. Then map the computers that need to see it to that share either via a shortcut on the desktop, mapped drive, etc...
What the heck am I supposed to write here?

dgurzynski

Post by dgurzynski » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:31 pm

So one might think. That is how I have it set up and what happens is the next time a feed comes down users don't have rights to the new file(s). They can't copy, open , or do anything with files that come in after I set rights/permissions. It did that when I tried using both simple file sharing and standard sharing. If I re-apply rights then it clears up until the next download.

countrykev wrote:The WW1 Retriever brings all the downloaded spots to one folder, wherever you specify. Just setup a Windows share for that folder. Then map the computers that need to see it to that share either via a shortcut on the desktop, mapped drive, etc...

radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:16 pm

What operating system? What are the permissions on the share? It sounds like the share is not allowing everyone read access.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
http://halloweenhauntings.org

dgurzynski

Post by dgurzynski » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 am

radiowave911

Thanks for the reply. The workstation is running windows XP Pro. It appears that I have proper rights on the share. When I created the share the users could get at everything. When the next download came, they couldn't get the new download so it looks like some odd inheritance problem. Since the WW software runs as a service my next step is to see what rights it's running under and try to match to the users. My ABC X-couriers has no such trouble at all but so far WW has tried but hasn't been able to figure this out. Any hints would be appreciated.

BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Post by BroadcastDoc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:49 pm

I think you may be on to something. It's quite possible that the downloaded file is not inheriting the rights from the parent. I don't remember with XP whether you have granular control of the rights, but in server 2K3 you can go into advanced permissions and force inheritable permissions from the parent object. Make sure to do that on the container one level up from where the files are living.
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, DRB, AMD, CBNE
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum

eadler

Post by eadler » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Also note to make sure that your user accounts have passwords set. Windows does some odd things, especially with regards to sharing, when accounts have blank passwords.
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

dgurzynski

Post by dgurzynski » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:51 pm

You know, that may be it. I really didn't want to give the user account a password considering 2 to 3 people will need it and I was trying to give them one less thing to remember. Although I have a share for ABC's download software and have no such problem with it at all. I'll give it a try.
eadler wrote:Also note to make sure that your user accounts have passwords set. Windows does some odd things, especially with regards to sharing, when accounts have blank passwords.

eadler

Post by eadler » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 pm

"administrator:administrator" or "user:user" shouldn't be too hard of a credential to remember. It doesn't need to be a secure password, it just needs to be one. Heck, engrave it into the bezel of the monitor if you need to (or use a sticky note :mrgreen:)
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler

dgurzynski

Post by dgurzynski » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Actually WW has a very good document on their website about 'Moving Folders'. This had all the info on creating the share, setting rights and most important, setting rights to the service. It seems good for now. Thanks everyone.