AudioVAULT Network & Sys Requirements

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
franklinrd

AudioVAULT Network & Sys Requirements

Post by franklinrd » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Hello,

I am new to the forums. I'm here because I'm having issues with our network bandwidth. We have three stations VPN'd together and all have T1 connections. Our current download speed, on a good day, is 170kbs. I've ran some tests and network analyzing tools and have found that it's our three automation computers hogging up the connection. We are currently using Broadcast Electronics (BE) AudioVAULT (AV). These three machines in our office are using a mesh connection with our three other stations and are constantly synchronizing the ENTIRE C drive 24/7/365.

Does anyone else use AudioVAULT? If so, could you help me understand some things? I'm being told by the person that installed and set this system up that BE requires AudioVAULT to only run on Windows XP SP2, no windows updates, only Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate edition and the entire C drive must be constantly synchronized and shared. Can someone direct to a different configuration or tell me how you have your AV set up? Because this does not make sense to me at all. I'd appreciate it and thank you for reading this.

Ryan F.

Dale H. Cook

Re: AudioVAULT Network & Sys Requirements

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:50 pm

franklinrd wrote:the entire C drive must be constantly synchronized and shared.
I've been taking care of several Audiovaults for about six years. Our C drives have only programs and system files on them. All of the audio is on the E drive of each machine, and those E drives are what are synchronized with NFServeW. We segregate files by format - the three control room machines copy only files specific to a format, plus all-format files such as spots, PSAs and weather. The two production Vaults get all files for all formats (one serves as a backup to the three on-air Vaults).

For most of those years we had a second studio at the other end of the market with a Vault and a WAN to the main studios through the Starlink, and although the WAN bandwidth was only about 400k, it was enough to keep the files on that Vault synchronized (we recently sold that station).

I use no anti-virus on the Vaults, as they are isolated from the Internet and removable media on those machines have autorun disabled.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

eadler

Re: AudioVAULT Network & Sys Requirements

Post by eadler » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:26 am

Dale H. Cook wrote:
franklinrd wrote:the entire C drive must be constantly synchronized and shared.
I've been taking care of several Audiovaults for about six years. Our C drives have only programs and system files on them. All of the audio is on the E drive of each machine, and those E drives are what are synchronized with NFServeW.
Same here (although it might not be "E").
We don't allow removable media to the AudioVault machines, instead opting for a heavy firewall between them and the DAWs with secure FTP of files from DAWs into a folder that is automatically checked by the Audio Vault system.
Eric "tonsofpcs" Adler
http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/
Twitter: @eric_adler