Rivendell Radio Automaiton

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
KPJL FM

Re: Rivendell Radio Automaiton

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:43 am

I put the latest edition/build of Rivendell on my Pi3, after an overnight update (painfully slow) and adding VLC, I can get audio out of the HDMI on the monitor, but still no audio out of the USB audio device. The device shows up in the rdalsaconfig GUI, but no output. VLC plays thru it just fine.
Other than the OS seems really slow, it appears to work otherwise.
Without audio out from the USB device, it's pretty much worthless.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 am

Turns out, the problem was the SD card I first used. Tried again to run it after imaging a different card, and now it runs and plays audio from both devices. Also, the OS no longer runs slow, which was my first clue about the card.
Now to try importing my 500+ SS32 audio files...

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:57 am

FWIW I ran a station on the air with RD for 2 years (station went under due to poor management). It was absolutely rock solid. I ran it on OLD (even at the time) Dell poweredge servers, with a Primary and backup server, a primary and backup on-air, and a prod machine. Initially using a single M-Audio Delta 1010 in the main server, and eventually 2- ASI cards in each server and 1 in the prod machine. I've not worked with it in over 3 years now but sometimes I miss it. We ran it on the built in scheduler for a bit, then interfaced it with music master. another station I was working with at the time was using PowerGold and Natural Log with thier setup.

There were some things that bugged me then, and seem like they still haven't been addressed, mostly the gui scaling issue.

Also being that it's Linux you may end up married to it if you don't have any linux savvy help.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it though, even over some very expensive options.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:31 pm

At this point, I won't spend the time re-tagging my audio library. Now I'm writing a Java app to play the ss32 files. I got a ways to go before it's finished.